Looks like Wargames Atlantic have been brave

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 28 June 2024, 08:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Wargames Atlantic have announced they are launching a 10mm Samurai plastic range. Strips of five and then smaller amounts
Big post, saying why they don't like 15mm and Warlord not 13.5mm scale.
Be interesting to see how they do.
Other scales planned, but Senguko samurai period is a good start point as one set can do many clans.

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

streetgang

Thanks for the info, sounds tempting. I have jumped into Sengoku in several scales (6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 28mm) and every project has faltered and I've sold off. The only one I still have is Test of Honour and all of those are still in the packaging.

It's a genre I want to do but have stumbled out of the blocks trying to actually pull off. For bigger battle, I have always struggled with an appropriate ruleset. I've owned most of them over the years and haven't really settled on a balance of accuracy and playability.
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Any images of what they are planning on releasing?

Corso

2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:

fred.

More 10mm is always good!

But lets remember there is a very nice and considerably more extensive Samurai range closer to home https://www.pendraken.co.uk/10mm-renaissance-16th-feudal-japanese

I am somewhat interested in the Wargames Atlantic figures - and probably more the samurai as they would add more variety to my already extensive Sengoku / Nippon army. Will be good to see some lined up against existing metals. As I wonder if like the Victrix WWII these will be quite slender compared to metals.

I do like that they have done a mix of strips and singles - Warmaster strips of figures alway sped up painting. But having some singles is good for commanders and adding a bit of variation to bases

Will be interesting to see where WA go next in 10mm. Do they add another set of peasants, monks, ronin and ninja. Or turn to something else entirely.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fsn

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

fsn

Please note: I do not endorse this entry into the one true scale - there is already a superior range available at Pendraken. 

pierre the shy

thanks for the link fsn, an informative watch, though not an era I have explored. Got enough rabbit holes to visit currently.  O:-)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

fred.

Good video - one of the much better wargames videos production wise. But not a lot more info than is on WA website. The figures do look more 3d than I was initially thinking, which is good. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Corso

I want 20mm because I couldn't find decent Ronin and Ninja in a smaller scale

Could be tempted if either appear in the future

Raider4

QuoteI want 20mm because I couldn't find decent Ronin and Ninja in a smaller scale

They're ninja - you're not supposed to find them.

BernaDotDotDot

29 June 2024, 05:49:39 PM #13 Last Edit: 29 June 2024, 05:55:41 PM by BernaDotDotDot
These arent a bad value compared to some plastic Napoleonics that have come out lately.  For most periods Id rather have the metal and character of P.  Rules for big battles samurai are scant, have choice between a couple. So in a way it makes sense as a buy a couple boxes and you are done sort of period.  I find it interesting that the discount is on 3 boxes, when you are probably pretty set with two each.

The ratios are actually pretty good by box for the period.

I will be interested in what they do next.  Doubtful Napoleonics.  Zulu might be a good one for this sort of packaging.  Buy one box of british and three zulu. Any other period is either too specific or niche.  This is really a great period theyve chosen for what they have done. But what else does it work well with.  Maybe Pike and Shotte.  Gun to my head I would take this over "Epic" releases for PnS all day.  I am not a fan of Epic.
2024 Painting Competition - Winner!
2024 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

clibinarium

This might be a bit controversial, but I think my advocacy of 10mm is established enough to confirm this is said in good faith...
...but I don't think 10mm is well suited to sengoku warfare. Gear and clothing is too intricate, and flags and sashimono too complex. The attaction of the period to me is the display of individual samurai and generals and that gets a bit lost at mass scale. Plus the actual tactics of sengoku warfare are pretty granular and don't suit large blocks of troop very well. I tried years ago to do 10mm samurai, but eventually gave it up as I couldn't paint the detail as I wanted to.

That said I have seen lovely 6mm and 10mm armies, but the individuals area bit lost. For the same reason I don't think 15mm is much better and have doubts about 28mm(!) too. I'd probably go with 40mm if there were nice figures and had the space, but for now 28mm is the way forward. This is very much the exception for me; nearly every other period works for me in 10mm, and I do think Phil's range is very nice.

I imagine samurai were picked by WA as there's only one "side" in a sense, i.e. the boxes will cover all factions. The period is still slightly niche, but its a fairly smart choice to open with. Hopefully it will boost Pendraken's sales as people want to supplement the box sets.