Ronin in a small scale

Started by Corso, 05 June 2024, 08:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Insect

QuoteCurrently looking for some suitable supernatural adversaries

I'm thinking 25mm pre-slotter kobolds and hobgoblins might work as Oni

Many thanks for the manufacturer info.

Dixon Miniatures do a quite nice range of 25/28mm Oni in their Legends of Nippon range (https://www.dixon-minis.com/shop/samurai-25mm/#sub-legends-of-nippon) including: Dai-Oni, Oni, Bakemono Goblins and even Tengu.
But you are right, if you can get hold of the OOP Citadel oriental hobgoblins they would be ideal, as they are closer to a true 25mm scale.

Mirliton Miniatures took over the old Grenadier Miniatures fantasy ranges and there are a number of interesting oriental monsters etc. in the various Classic Fantasy range - including a Kirin (https://www.mirliton.it/fantasy-25-28mm/fantasy-classic/kirin-fc335) & some beautiful Hisie and Shang and Chin Dragons (but they are metal and therefore not cheap). They also do a number of Eastern Hobgoblin figures (https://www.mirliton.it/fantasy-25-28mm/hobgoblin/eastern-hobgoblin-warriors-two-handed-weapons-4-hg008) but be warned, they are quite large.
I'd recommend that if you are making an order to Mirliton, it is well worth taking the time to go through all the various Mirliton Fantasy ranges (regardless of what they are titled) as often you'll find suitable oriental/Japanese figures/monsters in a variety of places.

An interesting project.
Do keep posting about it.
Cheers
Mark
NB: I've always found Mirliton to be a very reliable overseas supplier (into the UK).
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "outside of the box" thinking.

Corso

Thanks lots of cool ideas there

I did look at Dixon but wasn't sure how they would scale
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: Corso on 15 June 2024, 01:25:36 PMA bit of arm manipulation and green stuff work and you can make them even more unique

These two for example

I wanted more a traveling band of Ronin so I can use them for various adventures. Currently looking at adapting a song of blades and heroes

:-bd  =D>  :-bd  =D>  :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Corso

First of the fantasy additions

What graveyard is complete without a restless spirit  :D

Big Insect

very nice
what colour(s) did you use for that ghostly effect?
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "outside of the box" thinking.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Corso

Quote from: Big Insect on 15 June 2024, 10:43:24 PMvery nice
what colour(s) did you use for that ghostly effect?

Off white base coat with a couple of watered down bright green layers almost like a wash, dry brushed with them in a 50/50 mix

Corso

Big Insect

Quote from: Corso on 16 June 2024, 11:19:02 AMOff white base coat with a couple of watered down bright green layers almost like a wash, dry brushed with them in a 50/50 mix
Many thanks - I have a 15mm 'Army of the Dead' HoTT army I am build to accompany my Rohirrim and the effect looks perfect for what I am looking for.
 :)

Corso

QuoteMany thanks - I have a 15mm 'Army of the Dead' HoTT army I am build to accompany my Rohirrim and the effect looks perfect for what I am looking for.
 :)

I painted some the same way a while back using magister militum ghosts adding some swords and shield to make them a bit more battle ready

Although looking back I think I used  yellow/green for them

Corso

Bit more Terrain

With a Torii Gate

Corso

Just discovered something really interesting

It turned out there is a Samurai setting rule book based on a song of Blades and Heroes called Bushi no yumi, SBH and it's various redskins are my go too rules for skirmish games so I m dead happy to find them

Corso

Working on a bit more Terrain

Big Insect

Very nice - the bamboo doesn't need any added painting IMHO.

All very 'House of Flying Daggers' - NB: a stunningly beautiful film, which I was lucky enough to see at an IMax Cinema in HD - the scenes with the forest and fallen leaves is truly breathtaking.