Total Battle Miniatures and other 10mm friendly scenery

Started by streetgang, 14 March 2024, 07:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

streetgang

I've been trying to tackle some all too often neglected scenery in my collection. On this thread I will include pictures of some of the scenery I'm tackling. Initially it will be villages from TBM. I just finished a 6mm "pike and shotte" village to muse with 10mm armies:

Next up will be a 6mm Russian village for my 10mm Crimean War project followed up by a 6mm Italian village for my 10mm Risorgimento project (probably starting to see a theme here).
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

TBM stuff is great - but you have really made these ones look excellent 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

BernaDotDotDot

I have always liked a based or diorama scene like this for a town or village better than arranged loose buildings.  That looks great, will have to get one myself.
2024 Painting Competition - Winner!
2024 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Corso

Very nice

I've been tempted by their 6mm early Medieval stuff for my Merlin project bur havn't bitten yet

This might change my mind
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

streetgang

Quote from: BernaDotDotDot on 14 March 2024, 11:56:16 PMI have always liked a based or diorama scene like this for a town or village better than arranged loose buildings.  That looks great, will have to get one myself.

BDDD, I feel the same way. I like that most of the TBM villages have a rubber footprint that you place the buildings on. You can take the buildings off and place your figures in there when they occupy the town and move the buildings around. They uniform building sizes to fit into uniform recesses molded into the rubber footprint.

Here, I've removed one of the barns so I can place a unit of Spanish shotte.

2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!

paulr

:-bd  =D>  :-bd  =D>

The recesses are an interesting idea, didn't notice them at all in the first picture
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Nice job Streetgang  :-bd

Like others here I think the "one scale down" concept of using 6mm buildings with 10mm figures works well.

I personally haven't seen TBM buildings "in the flesh" before, but the rubberised footprint is a very clever concept.

I painted up some 6mm Battlescale buildings for our 17th century Celtic Fringe games recently: https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,22617.15.html
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Corso

fsn

You do you, but I like 10mm scenery for 10mm figures. Why? I think it's 'cos I tend to use fairly small figure ratios. For Napoleonics, I use 1:10, for post 1900 I use 1:1. If you have 1 figure represent 1 person, then a tiny house seems a bit silly to me.

If my 1 tank represented a squadron, if I had 24 figures to a Napoleonic infanty unit, then perhaps I would ... who am I kidding? If I wanted to use 6mm scenery, I'd use 6mm figures. I use 10mm figures, so I use 10mm scenery.   
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:

John Cook

Quote from: fsn on 15 March 2024, 08:50:14 AMYou do you, but I like 10mm scenery for 10mm figures. Why? I think it's 'cos I tend to use fairly small figure ratios. For Napoleonics, I use 1:10, for post 1900 I use 1:1. If you have 1 figure represent 1 person, then a tiny house seems a bit silly to me.

If my 1 tank represented a squadron, if I had 24 figures to a Napoleonic infanty unit, then perhaps I would ... who am I kidding? If I wanted to use 6mm scenery, I'd use 6mm figures. I use 10mm figures, so I use 10mm scenery.   

I agree.  10mm buildings are, in most cases, under-scale anyway.

Ithoriel

I feel it is some time since I last said it, so, "Wendy Houses!" :-)

Beautiful and would grace any table but still Wendy Houses in a 10mm game.

Each to their own, however.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

I use 10mm and 6mm buildings with 10mm figures (not at the same time!)

For games were a base of 3-5 figures represents a company or a battalion then going down to 6mm buildings helps get enough buildings in a given footprint to give the idea you are fighting over a village or town. 

For games were a base is a platoon or squad then 10mm buildings work much better. 

To me it's the footprint that matters far more than the height. In a game you are rarely getting down to eye level and going those doorways look too small. To me it's far more about looking at the roofs, and what they represent. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

kipt

Agree with Fred.  For my Regimental ACW I use 10mm buildings.  For my FPW where a stand is a regiment, 6mm houses work best.