1/600 Arab/Israeli aircraft 1948

Started by streetgang, 10 March 2024, 08:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

streetgang

10 March 2024, 08:34:21 PM Last Edit: 10 March 2024, 08:40:38 PM by streetgang
Painted up some Israeli and Egyptian aircraft for the 1948 air war. I was inspired to tackle the project after reading Angels in the Sky by Robert Gandt which is an awesome account of the early days of the Israeli Air Force. There's also a documentary called Above and Beyond which interviews some of the pilots involved. The aircraft are 1/600 from Tumbling Dice and the rules are Desert Spitfires, a free bonus ruleset from Tumbling Dice's Wings At War range.

If the dice frames look familiar, it's probably because you have seen them on the Pendraken website! For more images and background information on the project, click here.
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

BernaDotDotDot

Those are great.

Being relatively new to historicals or really anything non GW, I never knew what those frames were for until this post.  I thought they were fancy ways to keep your dice sorted next to units and from rolling around, or something.

I like that as you have done them, they look a bit like middle eastern buildings as well.
2024 Painting Competition - Winner!
2024 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

streetgang

Quote from: BernaDotDotDot on 10 March 2024, 10:37:48 PMThose are great.

Being relatively new to historicals or really anything non GW, I never knew what those frames were for until this post.  I thought they were fancy ways to keep your dice sorted next to units and from rolling around, or something.

I like that as you have done them, they look a bit like middle eastern buildings as well.

Thank you for the kind words. The dice frames are great for games where you want to keep track of whatever factor (hit points, morale, etc). It's an easy way to keep record without markers or fiddly bits that tend to get separated from the unit.

By the way, love your Saxons. Beautiful brushwork. Simply stunning. When I saw your entries into the competition (as well as others), I knew my chances weren't good this year! Look forward to seeing more of your work.

BernaDotDotDot

Well thank you very much!  I appreciate that.  I wasn't quite done with that corps but it was exciting to get in.  I am about done with the rest of it though and will post it soon.  I have totes and totes of 10mm.  Buying is faster than painting, but planning and organizing is also a fun rewarding hobby. I look forward to someday painting less for bulk and more off the cuff for whatever sounds fun like you're doing here.  It's all journey, easy to get caught up in wanting to be done but not is half the fun.
2024 Painting Competition - Winner!
2024 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Roy

Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Take those are tumbling dice minis ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

streetgang

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 11 March 2024, 10:10:31 AMTake those are tumbling dice minis ?

Indeed they are Tumbling Dice
Quote from: Duke Speedy of Leighton on 11 March 2024, 12:25:13 PMHe does say that.

Thanks Speedy, yes they are all Tumbling Dice aircraft. I drilled recesses into the bottoms and dropped tiny rare earth magnets in and secured them with super glue.

I have about a pound of their aircraft spanning from the dawn of aerial combat to late 20th century. Some of them are painted up, I will have to snap more pictures of those.

The Wings at War rules are really quite brilliant.

Roy

Could have been enquiring on the miniature buildings?

2mm Irregular, for a guess? (I'm not familiar enough with TD to know if he sells buildings, too)
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

streetgang

Quote from: Roy on 11 March 2024, 06:38:56 PMCould have been enquiring on the miniature buildings?

2mm Irregular, for a guess? (I'm not familiar enough with TD to know if he sells buildings, too)

Buildings are indeed Irregular 2mm. I try to source where most of the things come from on the blog posts although sometimes I forget.

The bases are Litko, buildings are Irregular, dice frames are Pendraken and the buildings are Irregular. I have some buildings from Pico (who sources them from O8 or Brigade Models I believe) as well but haven't painted them yet.

And aircraft are all Tumbling Dice.

Scorpio_Rocks

we play a lot of the Wings at War sets (especially Falklands and Thud Ridge)- great rules!

Nice painting
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Brilliant work! The forum is taking on the dimensions of a glossy gaming 'zine. :)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

streetgang

Quote from: Scorpio_Rocks on 11 March 2024, 08:54:59 PMwe play a lot of the Wings at War sets (especially Falklands and Thud Ridge)- great rules!

Nice painting

Wings At War is a brilliant series of rulesets. I think it is incredibly hard to create a simple set of rules that elegantly captures the nuance of the conflict they are trying to recreate.

I think Wings At War does that for aerial combat. I've played Flames Above Falklands numerous times and even tho I expect the Mirages and their afterburners to make minced meat of the Harriers, Sharkey and the boys always seem to find a way to come out on top (especially if one knows how to take advantage of the Viff move and the all aspects Sidewinders).