(GEG) Seven Days To The River Rhine army composition question

Started by Roy, 07 March 2024, 02:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

Couple of quick questions for anybody familiar with, or plays Great Escape Games' Seven Days To The River Rhine rules.

1) Would a gaming force solely comprising armoured vehicles of MBTs be rules legal?

2) Would such a gaming force made up of only MBTs be a glass cannon? (to use a RPG term - as in, good at offense but rubbish at defense)

3) Is there a minimum points spend needed when building a gaming force, or set minimums needed to be fielded? As I'm looking at x8 Warsaw Pact MBTs for 148pts / 18 BP and would love to 'legally' field them to see how they'd do (I'm guessing not so well, but that's half the fun!)

If anyone can advise me on these questions, you've my thanks.

Roy

Footnote: Not had a chance to see a game, or read the rules, yet. Will be a spectator -cum- limited-playing-involvement in a game on Saturday. I already have miniatures that I can use, but am holding off on buying the rules until I've looked over a club mates. Also not asked these questions of club mates, I want it to be a surprise ('cos none of them are as stupid as me to field the units I'm thinking of  ;D )
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Scorpio_Rocks

Great set of rules.

Use them a lot (and the ww2 sister set Iron Cross), one of the beauties is there is no set points limit - the scenarios in the book suggest 250 - 2000 points per side.

We tend to play 2 player quick games around 500 pts a side. Multi-player 200 points each is reasonable.

again rules have no real force composition limits rather than very loose limits in the army list of each country and hard limits like only 1 "Rare" vehicle or "1 inf support / 2 std inf"

No real reason you couldnt field just MBTs but you will be VERY limited with no Recce, infantry or support
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

Roy

Thank you very much Scorpio_Rocks  :-bd

Just had a look & the country I'm interested in modelling/gaming formerly used BRDM-2s, and I believe some can be picked up cheap off eBay, so that may adjust the balance of my intended force somewhat. (the gaming group has chosen to play in 15mm)

Though it will be the youngster in the force, being produced from 1962 onwards and my other choices are all WW2-error era  :D
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"