Legio Imperialis - 8mm

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 04 March 2024, 11:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The rest of the club was doing it, so I had to do it!
Which forces to use? Imperial or Chaos? Which marine chapter, I think you can guess. The answer to that will come later...

Okay, it was the one GW rules set I used to really play a lot and enjoy. When the new version came out, adding in my Titans, it was all good I guess, especially as a lot of the Leighton Buzzard guys had already got it (always late to the party).
Plus Timecast stock it, so I'm helping out old mates, honest!
Aaaaaannnnnyway, I really could not work out what colours to paint the 'Solar Auxilia', which appear to be upgraded Imperial Guard. I wanted to avoid the Cthonian Headhunter chaos stuff. I was stuck. Then I had a thought, the sets come with banners. What banners to use, the original...

Mass effect of the set

Kind of works with First edition box art.

Top view

Focus on the bosses why don't ya!

First edition Imperial Guard had banners. Why not do the Auxilia as First edition Guard?
Like these...

Gives you mass effect.

Yes, they are meant to be five to a base, but four is fun too, and gets you more bases.

Top view, camo actually kind of works!

Lazrifles a-go-go

Back view

Yellow stripes on lids equates to command, red is tactical

Flamer types (blue stripes as support troops)

Top view

Back view

About to get toasty.

So, you're a waffle man!

Scorchio!

And what says assualt troops better than green stripes and two handed axes?

Top view

Chop-chop!

Elites with an axe to grind

Swing low...

Ogryn types

Managed to lose a body, as I had stuck it on backwards and then it pinged off. So, a quick replacement with a Pendraken head and body from the new sci-fi tank. That's why one looks a little odd.

Top view

Tanks of something.

Tanks for the memories

Bit vicious

Sentinal walkers

Armoured boys

Back view

Fire support

Top view

Command stands, flags based on original box illustrations

These ones

Ready

Back view

Over there lads!

Boss dudes
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jimduncanuk

My Ego forbids a signature.

Leon

I'm surprised you managed to get a box, they're out of stock everywhere in the north-east it would seem!

How tall are the infantry, to top of head roughly?  I've not seen any in the flesh yet to see how far off our 10mm stuff is next to them.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

jimduncanuk

I have two starter boxes and several individual sprues.

Many more available if you shop around.

The infantry are 9mm from sole of foot to top of head.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Leon - Mark at Timecast is on the case for me!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The wargames store in Brimstage had a few, but that was 2 week ago, may well have sold out.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

streetgang

This box set is really tempting. How are the rules? I've read that the box set doesn't really give you a game-able force (as per the rules).

I love the old iconic GW artwork. Speedy, you did a very nice job on the brushwork and the use of the old artwork as inspiration is very cool.
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Those that have played it, love it.
Air power is the killer by all accounts, but then they gave just released AA assets, so we will see.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

And thank you for the feedback  :D

hammurabi70

Is the rulebook really 240 pages long!? ASL would seem to have some competition!

fred.

I've played several games of Legion Imperilias - but using our classic Epic figures. The game is really good, the order sequence is good.

There are definitely problems with the points.

Watch out for Marines with missile launchers, especially yellow ones!

The rule book is huge, but lots of it isn't rules, its lore and pretty pictures etc. The section on Marine chapters is a full page per chapter, to give you 1 special rule per chapter.

Aircraft can be powerful - but they are also pretty brittle. Deorodao dreadnaughts have a lot of shots. Titans have seemed a bit meh.

I think there are probably big difference in the games we have played vs the ones with starter armies. I have fielded 60-70 bases of marine infantry in the games we have played, not least because the army lists don't include lots of stuff like bikes, land speeders, etc (or they didn't till the supplement came out very recently).
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Raider4

QuoteIs the rulebook really 240 pages long!? ASL would seem to have some competition!
The new Warhammer: The Old World rulebook is a mere 352 pages.

And costs £42.50.

No wonder One Page Rules' Age of Fantasy: Regiments looks so attractive.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Heavy armour for the Auxilia

Top view

Malacor tanks

Trundle

Boom

Trundle

Lemun Russ(essses)

Face on

Top down

Turrets and hulls are interchangable

Back view

Advance

Roy

Those have painted up really rather well.  :)
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"