The Bad Feels Blog

Started by BernaDotDotDot, 02 March 2024, 01:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Quote from: fsn on 13 October 2024, 08:33:49 PMFor a change, I'm painting some Samurai.

Three units in and I hate back-banners.  >:(
That's why I have never thought of doing a Samurai army. Thank you for confirming the correctness of my decision.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fred.

Back banners - don't try to paint them (beyond a base colour) print out the mons and patterns to the right size on plain paper and simply glue these in place over the banners. Works great, might take a bit of faffing to get them the right size, but once that is done you can create pages very quickly. 

There are lots of online resources so you don't need to create the designs yourself. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

Last Hussar

Quote from: fsn on 13 October 2024, 08:33:49 PMFor a change, I'm painting some Samurai.

Three units in and I hate back-banners.  >:(

When you have converted 8mm Shakos to Czapkas, then you can moan.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fsn

I plan to do to the Japanese what I have done with the Barons' War.

Instead of having two historical forces, I have 8 made up ones. These are neither historical nor equal.

For the Japanese 4 are "mixed foot" - Samuari & Ashigaru, Bow, Spear Sword and Naginata*. Then there are 2 mounted units, and 2 small "elite" Samurai only units. This way, I can have 2 equal forces, or I can mix and match for various degrees of inequality. There would be something romantically heroic about the 800 mixed foot being opposed by the 200 elite and mounted Samurai. 

Armour will be predominantly in one colour per unit - black, red, blue or brown.

Banners will be simple, geometric designs. My first unit has black banners with yellow bands at top and bottom. The problem is coming up with suitably poetic names for them. The first unit now rejoices as "the Reflected Dawn". The second  (so far) marches under a purple banner which I'm contemplating adding three white dots to. Perhaps these could be the "Snow on Iris"

I know it's not historically accurate and frankly I'm not that bothered. It's a less than serious period for me. I took great care to research the plume colours of the Paris National Guard in 1810, but I'm going to enjoy being a bit creative with the Japanese.     

*No, no gunpowder.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Quote from: Last Hussar on 14 October 2024, 12:49:12 PMWhen you have converted 8mm Shakos to Czapkas, then you can moan.
I certainly would.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

Quotepurple banner
Cadbury?

GNU PTerry

Raider4

QuoteCadbury?
Very dark elvish. 

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Something about duck and rabbit banners...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

GNU PTerry