The Bad Feels Blog

Started by BernaDotDotDot, 02 March 2024, 01:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BernaDotDotDot

This line of thinking reminds me of my biggest rules pet peeve in my past and a recent conversation locally- Space Elves who have the technology to grow ships and trap souls in gems, had weapons that scatter, let alone 66% of the time. No, I can target not just you at two miles with this technology, but the pebble you're about to step on.

My dilemma though, is scattering templates are always fun...
2024 Painting Competition - Winner!
2024 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

My pet peeve about the Eldar/ Space Elves is that with that technology they are going for fields that make them marginally harder to see rather than some multi-phasic, multi-layer stops almost everything mega shield.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

Oh! There are only a few of these ... I don't need to note which colours I use!

... a few months, and a few purchases later ...

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

• Forking out for Russian flags for the 1904 Russo-Japanese War then finding out that they were usually carried encased as they were sacred.  >:( 
  • Carefully counting your bases to make sure you have enough - then having your painting mojo kick in and you haven't got enough bases to finish what you're doing, and your order of bases is a week away from being collected.  >:( >:(
  • Carefully counting the number of figures you need for a project, then finding that you're actually 3 short.  >:( >:( >:(
  • Putting your project on a tray so you can bask in it's growth as you are painting it, then dropping the tray when you're only ONE ARTILLERY BATTERY from completion.   >:( >:(  >:( >:(  (84 minutes to pick up, minor repairs and searching for one f@#*ing office who galloped off under the couch)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

steve_holmes_11

Not 10mm obvs...

The manufacturer of a popular range closes its doors.
You've an incomplete army, or were on the cusp of building another opponent.

Hold your breath to see whether another manufacturer buys and revives the range.
Gasp when you see their mark-ups compared to the previous manufacturer.
Reflect that if you (and 100 others) had ordered a year earlier, the original business might still be trading.

Disclaimer: 
Retirement seems a bigger cause of closure than financial troubles.
Reviving a range doesn't seem cheap, so the price hikes are understandable.

fsn

I have largely avoided this by putting my faith truly in the One True Scale and Pendraken.  :D

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 16 June 2024, 10:42:33 AMNot 10mm obvs...

The manufacturer of a popular range closes its doors.
You've an incomplete army, or were on the cusp of building another opponent.

I avoid this now I have the funds, by buying the entire army in one go.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

QuoteI avoid this now I have the funds, by buying the entire army in one go.

That is probably quite sensible.

Wish I did that.

Last Hussar

I did that with the Little Wooden Men. Or at least I thought I had. Need more cannon.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

BernaDotDotDot

Four days without power.  I have stuck over 1500 figures to wooden sticks.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Four days! What happened?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

BernaDotDotDot

28 June 2024, 08:02:44 AM #26 Last Edit: 28 June 2024, 08:10:18 AM by BernaDotDotDot
About as close to a tornado as you can get without being a tornado.  Tree and lines down on every road in the county.  We were out running errands and it took forever to get home. Every single traffic light was out.  We are also on the county line, so last on the list to get back on.

Silver lining, it's camping in.  And I did all the paint prep work that was my goal for, definitely next 3 months, maybe the year.  Heck, I could make a new order!  Gah....

Wifey took a pic.  I have crap to do, but it was in a way pretty nice little forced vacation. At some point soon I will make a little post on fig mounting and planning.  I have worked out a lot over the past year or so to cheat a bit.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

BernaDotDotDot

Thanks!  In a strange but good way, the worst I heard was one car got hit by a tree and that was it.  They were fine.  It wasnt high enough winds to pick things up, but enough to cull a ton of half dead trees and all the power lines under them.

kustenjaeger

Last year I undercoated a base of 3 Star Wars droids too thickly and then used what I thought was plastic safe paint remover on the individual droids ... it wasn't so after an hour or so only chemical smelling Blobs remained.  As they were part of a set I had to resort to eBay for replacements.

Ho hum.

Edward