News from TMP that Navwar is finally completely closing

Started by GrumpyOldMan, 06 February 2024, 09:07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyOldMan

Hello All

Saw this on TMP http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=576521 Apparently they will completely close now and be kaput in 5 weeks.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

paulr

Sad but entirely reasonable from Tony's perspective

I hope someone saves the ranges :-SS
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

This is very sad news indeed, but not unexpected. I hope Tony has a pleasent retirement.

I too hope someone picks up the very extensive Navwar ranges, they certainly seem to be popular enough for someone to make a go of them.

In the meantime if you want 1/3000th WW1/WW2/and some modern ships there is a plan B.....

The Davco range is very similar to the Navwar ships: https://navymodelsandbooks.co.uk/

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Shedman

I didn't realise that The Miniatures Page was still going

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

hammurabi70

I ordered and took delivery last month. The flyer received from NAVWAR with my order stated that ill-health was forcing closure and the business was now selling off existing stock.  My order involved unusual ships (Greek & Dutch WWII fleets) so although I used second-class post I got mine in 10 days with a complete order!  Superb service.

Should anyone be interested, the business would be sold as a going concern; I guess nobody was.  3D-printing may have caused demand to fall.  There are some final remnants available on eBay.

FierceKitty

Quote from: pierre the shy on 07 February 2024, 05:04:28 AMThe Davco range is very similar to the Navwar ships....

I don't see the galleys and WNA ranges that were so useful.... :'(

Roy

Be interesting to see where UK gamers go for smaller scale WW1 or WW2 ship miniatures, now. Near enough every gamer I've seen, in person or on the Web, have used, either, GHQ or Navwar [with the GHQ mainly bought from Magister Militum].

I always had great service from Navwar. The smaller sized Napoleonic ship models they sold are absolute miniature marvels, in my humble opinion (I just can't remember the scale).
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Ithoriel

Tumbling Dice do 1/2400 and 1/4800 ship models plus a limited number of 1/600. So for those looking to start new projects they may be a suitable replacement but for those looking to match Navwar's 1/1200 and 1/3000 scale stuff that may be more of a problem.

Langton do some very nice 1/1200 Ancient galleys but with prices to match the quality.

Etsy have some people 3D printing 1/3000 scale stuff but far from the range that Navwar did and more expensive too.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Roy

And the embarrassing truth is that I own some Tumbling Dice 1:2400 Pre-Dreadnaught stuff and forgot all about them.  :-[

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

FierceKitty

FIB's 1:3000 Age of Sail models are a delight (though I still need to roll up my sleeves and get my rules to a stage where the downwind fleet isn't doomed before the first broadside).

I think the 1:1200 renaissance galleys and the WNA ranges will be the most missed.

Roy

Any chance you could educate me on what WNA stands for, please? I've been trying to work it out, but have come up with a blank.

Ithoriel

WNA - War of Northern Aggression aka The American Civil War
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Sorry - I once had a Carolina girlfriend who always called it that.

Roy