Roy's thread of random painted stuff in various scales and periods

Started by Roy, 21 January 2024, 11:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

World War One Aviation: 1915
The mid-January game of 28mm SciFi using some of my own and Vampifan's miniatures is on hold at present, due to me deciding to use different figures than I had previously chosen and them needing to be painted.

What I have finished off are these two 1:144 WW1 aeroplane models, so I can get in some solo games of Wings of Glory. Models are by Reduced Aircraft Factory, through Shapeways (purchased a number of years ago).

The models are:
. Morane-Saulnier MoS-3 Parasol (British classification of Type L) [converted; rear observer replaced with a Red Eagle Miniatures Lewis Gunner miniature)
. Fokker Eindecker E.II 

Of note: The Royal Flying Corps aeroplane model still requires varnishing. The Type L (in this case) was armed only with a single, rear-facing machine gun. It was about 10mph slower than the German Eindecker.

Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

fred.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Roy

Thank you

The paints used were the Wargames Foundry Raw Linen triad, should anyone be interested.
The Fokker was painted from a black/very dark grey undercoat and it has made the finished paint job very dark - not obvious in the photographs. I wouldn't recommend such a dark basecoat - I'll be using a lighter basecoat for the pair of Fokker Eindecker E.III aeroplanes I'm yet to paint.

Decals are by Red Eagle Miniatures (who purchased the Skytrex WW1 Aviation range).

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Roy

Xenomorph XX121 for Xenos Rampant (rules)

Miniatures: Prodos Games - AVP (Alien Versus Predator). OOP (out of production).

Size: Heroic 28mm/32mm.

Painting standard: Get-them-on-the-table-top-asap, without them looking too cr-p.

Photography standard: Terrible!

Quoting what I wrote on The North Riding Wargames Club's Discord:

""Have painted up 24pts of Xenomorph XX121 miniatures (from the Alien film franchise) using Prodos Games's OOP Heroic 28mm/32mm. Classing all that I've painted, so far, as "Greater Xenomorph" as per Xenos Rampant rules. Still to paint: x1 (big "SMU") Alien Royal Guard, x10 ("Lesser Xenomorph" swarm) Stalkers. For obvious reasons, my Detachment is named the "Black Death". [pictures to follow]

Cr-p 'day light' photos. But people can at least see what the models look like. Vallejo paint bottle for scale. As I said, Heroic 28mm/32mm size. So Games Workshop 40K/Kill Team/Necromunda figures should match up pretty well. 28mm EM4/Copplestone/Hasslefree/Heresy/Foundry and the like, will look small when put against these.

The Alien "Praetorian" (above) is the largest miniature I own from the Prodos Games AVP miniature line. I'm calling it a "Greater Xenomorph" (SMU - Single Model Unit) for Xenos Rampant. In the Aliens lore, I think a Praetorian is an 'evolving' Xenomorph, on the way to becoming a Queen. Might be wrong.""

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Roy

Yeah, I really like the big Praetorian model. If I'd have known Prodos Games were to stop making them, I wouldn't have bought into it originally, though. I'll try and take better photographs when the others are painted, using artificial (daylight bulb) illumination. Trouble is, they'll be satin varnish by then and reflecting the light even more  ;D

Next to 'speed paint', Soviet (mobilised reserve stock) T-34-85 tanks and SU-100 tank destroyers for 1980s Cold War Gone Hot. Because someone in the gaming group has to field the worse tanks available, pitting them against Abrams, Challengers, and Leopards  :D

Roy

[WIP] T-34-85 1/100 Zvezda plastic model - making it look suitable to use in 1980s gaming

Soviet Armoured Reserve (mobilised War Reserves stock) T-34-85 Model 1953

Pendaken 10mm T-34 (single) fuel drums fitted to rear of Zvezda 1/100 T-34-85, as smoke canisters. Cut down pieces of gun barrels from spare tank models, as snorkels for deep wading. Bit of a bodge representation, rather than 100% accurate.

Still to do, sculpt a 'canvas cover over the gun mantlet' and create a 'night driving lamp'.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Roy

Roy

[WIP] T-34-85 1/100 Zvezda plastic model - Part 2
Work begins on the Driving Light and it's 'cage'.

What I've done:
Holes drilled out using a drill bit and pin vice. Florist wire (goldy-colour) and paperclip used for conversion.

What's still to do:
Holes require filling in. Florist wire to be straightened out, and attaching cross-pieces. Sculpt the basic shape of a light onto the paperclip, to be attempted.

If I can manage to do all of that, it will just leave the canvas cover over the gun mantlet to sculpt.

Again, not 100% accurate but, good enough to play toy soldiers with.

Duke Speedy of Leighton