2023 - How did we do?!

Started by Leon, 02 January 2024, 11:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

I would also consider moving to 10mm if a suitable number of Chariot era figures were produced, as I currently only have one army in 15mm. A lot of the figures can be very generic, but a lot of poses are needed to make the unit look right.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

Quote from: Raider4 on 04 January 2024, 08:27:53 PMLies, damn lies and statistics, eh?

Indeed so. The figure sizes considered in the survey did not include 10mm, or 6mm for that matter.  It is as if 10mm wargamers are invisible.

Orcs

Quote from: John Cook on 05 January 2024, 03:50:48 PMIndeed so. The figure sizes considered in the survey did not include 10mm, or 6mm for that matter.  It is as if 10mm wargamers are invisible.

Who said that  :)

Sorry I will get my coat.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Just back from my holidays so late to the discussion

Leon has indeed been hard on himself when judging failure, as others have suggested a Delayed category would be appropriate. Also the majority of the successes have been larger projects, particularly the website photos.

As Leon has mentioned most of the 'scattered' items last year were either commissions or opportunities that Pendraken could either grasp or let slip. While all are useful additions to the Pendraken ranges they have taken time away from the focus projects

In my view Pendraken should be very pleased with another successful year and I hope the new 1-2 projects a month approach works well
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

QuoteIn my view Pendraken should be very pleased with another successful year
Hear ! Hear!

It's just that some of the projects I was looking forward to didn't get done. :(

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Leon

Quote from: fsn on 05 January 2024, 09:03:33 AMIt did. 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th places were taken by Sf or fantasy. Warhammer came in at 4th place.

Apologies, I'd seen the 'excluding 40K' bit at the top and didn't notice it had a separate line.  You're right though, WSS is going to get a historical slant to any responses.  If we look at the overall wargames hobby, I'd expect it to be over 90% Fantasy/Sci-Fi gamers.  Not the most scientific method but if we take Warlord Games vs Warhammer 40K on Facebook, the latter has about 8 times more followers than Warlord does and that's only one GW game system.

Quote from: fsn on 05 January 2024, 10:01:49 AMWe are seeing it now, with a spurt of AWI releases...
I'll cite the Russo-Japanese War.   

Both of those fall under the 'Customer Led' header where we've not chosen those projects, they've been commissioned by other people and we put them into production.  So it's great for expanding ranges without the expense and time involvement, but moulding/prepping does eat into other projects.

Quote from: fsn on 05 January 2024, 10:01:49 AMBottom line. I find Pendraken to be frustrating when new goodies are trailed then seem to take a long time to appear (Ancient Indians, Amazons, Japanese Castles).

The missing Fantasy is purely a scheduling issue and my fault.  We've started both Ratmen and Amazons and I've got a selection on my worktable, but we had to pivot to Korea I think it was, just to get those ranges done and ready for the launch of CWC2. 

The Japanese castles is another topic entirely and I share your frustration at those not being available yet...

Quote from: DecemDave on 05 January 2024, 10:54:57 AMPlus the campaigns of the Prophet (pbuh) and his successors need way more poses than the current Dark Age Arab range and scattered proxies.

I'd like to revamp all of the Dark Age ranges as those are getting towards the Old Ranges category now.  The horses in particular were done on old dollies.

Quote from: Orcs on 05 January 2024, 02:12:43 PMI would also consider moving to 10mm if a suitable number of Chariot era figures were produced, as I currently only have one army in 15mm. A lot of the figures can be very generic, but a lot of poses are needed to make the unit look right.

That's another area that we need to expand in.  We got started with Techno doing the new Romans, Gauls, Greeks, Persians, etc but again we got sidetracked with something before we could get the Macedonians and Indians done.

Quote from: paulr on 05 January 2024, 08:08:27 PMLeon has indeed been hard on himself when judging failure, as others have suggested a Delayed category would be appropriate.

We'll have one of those next year maybe!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

fsn

QuoteBoth of those fall under the 'Customer Led' header where we've not chosen those projects, they've been commissioned by other people and we put them into production.  So it's great for expanding ranges without the expense and time involvement, but moulding/prepping does eat into other projects.
Indeed. These are the sheep paths which eat into the Roman roads (even I'm not sure that makes sense.) 

QuoteThe missing Fantasy is purely a scheduling issue and my fault...

The Japanese castles is another topic entirely and I share your frustration at those not being available yet...
You quote my frustration, but not the following paragraph in which I was much more complimentary.  Yes, I am looking forward to the Amazons and the Japanese Castles, but that's what I am interested in. Honestly, the AWI stuff is pretty, and although I won't be buying from that range someone else is obviously frothing with excitement. I realise that Pendraken doesn't exist just to please me, and I have no right nor desire to intefere with scheduling (OK, maybe a little desire). My frustration is unimportant, and silly, and selfish and solpsistic, and is akin to the 6 year old in the back of the car saying "are we there yet?" repeatedly.

You are very open with the trials and tribulations of the industry. You have limited resources and a constantly changing economic enviromnent. You're still standing as a going concern and with everything that has hit us in the last few years that's a solid achievement.

I hope to have many more years of complaining about things not being released quick enough. May you go from strength to strength. 

About the Amazons ...

Raider4

QuoteTB Line - FAIL!
This one was a fail due to not having the time to spend cleaning up these figures, so they'll be another project for later in the year.
What's still to come from the TB Line please?

Raider4

QuoteIs the Italian Wars going to be the next Big Thing?...
Ooooh, that would be nice.

DecemDave

QuoteWhat's still to come from the TB Line please?
Leon's 2017 announcement can be found here:
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/2017/07/pendraken-miniatures-acquires-tb-line.html