Jungle bases

Started by Steve J, 18 October 2023, 11:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

A few pics of some terrain I made recently:

Ithoriel

Nice! I particularly like the palm trees.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Matt J

Good stuff Steve!

Where did the palm trees come from? I want some!
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Steve J

Thanks chaps!

@ Matt. I simply did a search on ebay for aquarium palm trees and a whole host of options popped up. Most are sent direct from China it seems, but some are available from sellers in the UK. It really depends upon how many you want, what sizes and if you want a multi pack etc.

Orcs

Very nice. I have to make some for 20mm so will be having a look again at these when I get round to it
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

d_Guy

Really looks the part, Steve. Echo the sentiments on the palms. :-bd
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Corso

Nice work

I really liked the hills you put together too but couldn't find how you did them on your blog?
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

:-bd  =D>  :-bd  =D>
Particularly the palms
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

"I really liked the hills you put together too but couldn't find how you did them on your blog?"

They were made by sticking a hard foam to an mdf or hardboard base, sculpting it to a shape you want. Then it is covered in my basing mixture where I want to see bare earth/stone, then everything is painted dark brown. Once dry, the earth/stone areas are drybrushed as my figure bases, then the rest of flocked with static grass on a pva glue base. Hope this helps?

Big Insect

I'm a great fan of the plastic aquatic plants and plastic trees from China - I've usually had excellent service from most of the eBay suppliers I have used. The ranges of 'trees & palms' are usually quite extensive and with a bit of searching you can find all sorts of interesting stuff ... ideal for Sci-Fi as well as other 'jungle' terrain.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "outside of the box" thinking.

Corso

Quote from: Steve J on 19 October 2023, 07:54:20 AM"I really liked the hills you put together too but couldn't find how you did them on your blog?"

They were made by sticking a hard foam to an mdf or hardboard base, sculpting it to a shape you want. Then it is covered in my basing mixture where I want to see bare earth/stone, then everything is painted dark brown. Once dry, the earth/stone areas are drybrushed as my figure bases, then the rest of flocked with static grass on a pva glue base. Hope this helps?

Thanks, I've mostly been using cork tiles, need to get hold of some hard foam and give it a go
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!