Circular metal bases - Foundry?

Started by henjed, 04 October 2023, 09:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

henjed

Hello all,

I've decided finally to do something with some figures I bought *an age* ago from Wargames Foundry (some conquistador types and some Elizabethan swashbucklers): I had half painted some (this must be 15 years ago) and stuck them onto circular 2cm diameter metal stands (approx. 2mm thick).  The stands have a v slightly uneven surface (not shiny smooth) and I think I must have bought them from Foundry too (albeit not enough for more than half of my figures) - although it seems that they no longer sell them.

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on some like this? - all the ones I have seen online (in the UK at least) are 1mm thick.  I am a bit of a stickler for consistent base types and I don't want to prise the metal bases off my figures if  can help it...

Mike

flamingpig0

erm, could you not buy 2 1mm bases and stick them together?
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Orcs

A UK penny is 20mm round and approx 1.5mm thick.  Most  (especially the newer ones) magnetic due to the high steel content now days. I don't think you would notice the height difference once based. If it botherd you you could add a layer of the Ferro sheet from the site below.

https://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Raider4

The old bronze ones are 1.52mm thick and are not magnetic. The newer copper-plated steel ones are 1.65mm thick. They are generally a lighter, shinier colour than the older ones and are magnetic.

steve_holmes_11

Off the wall, you could try some of the various metal "superstores" online.

I use 0.8mm mild steel to line my storage trays so magnetised bases adhere.
Mild steel is great for magnetic "grab" through prone to surface rusting, so needs a protective layer.
They're pretty good at cutting squares and rectangles to order (provided you don't take the p***, when they'll start to charge).

Browse about and see whether they offer circular punching as a service.
Then contact them in their "Anything you can't see on our site" and enquire about 20mm punch-outs 2mm thick.

henjed

Some exceptional (and obvious) solutions suggested here - many thanks - I particularly liked flamingpig's (as in "Why didn't *I* think of that?")

Just re-measured my metal bases and they are actually 2.25cm or 2.3cm in diameter so pennies won't do, sadly (I think I must have been sodden with drink when I first measured them).

steve_holmes_11

Or, if you can find a suitable geometry, steel washers.