Battlescale Irish buildings

Started by pierre the shy, 26 August 2023, 08:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Ithoriel on 30 August 2023, 05:58:03 PMI go to bed between 2qm and 4am and get up between 10am and midday. One of the joys of retirement is going to bed when my body thinks it's tired and getting up when I wake rather than living my life bound by the artificial construct we call time :)

Horses for Courses, I get up at 7 every day... I retired in 2015...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Ithoriel

There are days when I haven't been to bed yet at that time, Ben.

But, to me, the joy is the freedom to get up whenever, be that 7am or 7pm.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Glorfindel

Great stuff - really nice painting and glad you found it an enjoyable experience !   Thank you for taking the time to let us see them.

Can I just ask if you thought of adding some more grass / flock to the bases ?   I haven't visited yet but in my mind's eye, Ireland tends to be very green (and quite wet) !

Phil

pierre the shy

Quote from: Glorfindel on 31 August 2023, 03:35:24 PMGreat stuff - really nice painting and glad you found it an enjoyable experience !   Thank you for taking the time to let us see them.

Can I just ask if you thought of adding some more grass / flock to the bases ?   I haven't visited yet but in my mind's eye, Ireland tends to be very green (and quite wet) !

Phil

I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to static grass and flock etc, I thought I added enough tussock clumps to each base to give a general feeling of the "boginess" of the Irish terrain.

I use a generic flock mix of locally produced railway flock from Scenic Textures - 50% Dark Tussock and 50% High County Tussock. This fills my requirements for my mainly Scots/Irish based W3K troops.

The buildings I'm painting up will get to serve in other periods and locations as well.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Steve J

Really nice work on all the buildings 8) .

d_Guy

Based on my three weeks in Ireland, twenty years ago (in May), it is, as Glorfindel says,widely and brilliantly green. The uplands, however look more like you basing (as do many of the bog lands). Very minimal sample and more experienced travelers and residents may disagree. I think your basing is fine (especially since you'll be bouncing between Scotland and Ireland).
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Glorfindel

"...The buildings I'm painting up will get to serve in other periods and locations as well."

Good point.   Always worth taking this into account.

Looking forward to more pics.    :D

Phil

pierre the shy

After a showing at our regular game l have done another coat of straight undiluted wash to darken up the thach and stonework on these. Putting together next batch today hopefully.

pierre the shy

Finally able to finish off the next batch of celtic related buldings today.....I've had these for a little while now and from memory got them direct from Battlescale - mainly their Colloden style croft and associated barn along with a suitably dour looking kirk and stone windmill. With the Irish crofts that I've done already this lot should give enough bases for any required built up areas, and they may also serve in other theatres as well.

I was alot more "aggressive" with the agrex earthshade wash this time as I did not not dilute it at all. Pretty happy with the results, with better looking thatched roofs, once flock and a few bits of tussock clumps are added to the bases. 

After a showing at our regular game I added another coat of straight undiluted wash to darken up the thach and stonework on the first lot of crofts and the ruined church that I did a couple of weeks ago. 

The whole lot:

Croft and Barn:

Kirk and Windmill:

All the Colloden Crofts:

Pretty happy with these, feel a bit more confident painting stuff after this lot.

Glorfindel

Lovely stuff - particularly the thatching which is really effective.

Just one thought.  I've previously painted up a stack of Dark Age buildings from Total Battle Miniatures and found that the addition of a few locals (and animals !) really makes them live.  If you were interested, you can get these from Perfect Six Miniatures:

Yokels etc

Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

These look good - I think the extra wash has helped
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

pierre the shy

Thanks for looking.....the darker wash certainly seems to do the trick.

Glorfindel - I do have some nice 6mm bits and pieces from Perfect Six that I got a few years ago that I use mainly for 6mm Spearhead and Modern Spearhead games. Its been a while since I have visited there and looks like they now make some other useful stuff.....thanks for the link  :)   

I'm one of those gamers who uses "one scale down" buildings for 10mm games so normally use 6mm buildings. I do have a whole drawerful of 10mm animals from Leon's ranges as well as some throwdown C17 scenic stands that I am currently very slowly working on - mainly carts and drivers and a few odd civilians collected along the way. Did think of putting some of these into the pictures but it turned into a very quick 5 minute photo shoot when the sun was actually out a couple of days ago.

Currently becoming an online expert on C17 lime rendering trying to see what colours a few rendered buildings that I have in the painting line would be painted - looks like white or a pale creamy yellow are the main colours for such things.....too bad if not as their now painted!     

paulr

:-bd  =D>  :-bd  =D>

The darker was has definitely improved them :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on