Pendraken Future Plans - Please Read!

Started by Leon, 01 August 2023, 10:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHautpol

As hobbies go, it has to said that wargaming is relatively cheap compared to other leisure activities such as a football season ticket for example.

Most traders tend to gamers themselves and are very conscious of the effect on customers.  I've tended to look at such increases as inevitable in today's world where not only have the prices of materials increased in their right but also the increased costs of moving them about.

Given the quality of the figures and the service that comes with them, especially being able to add odd figures or substitute figures, I'm happy for Leon to go ahead with whatever he needs to do to ensure the firm's viability.

Best wishes going forwards.
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2018 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Quote from: DHautpol on 14 August 2023, 01:06:47 PMAs hobbies go, it has to said that wargaming is relatively cheap compared to other leisure activities such as a football season ticket for example.

Most traders tend to gamers themselves and are very conscious of the effect on customers.  I've tended to look at such increases as inevitable in today's world where not only have the prices of materials increased in their right but also the increased costs of moving them about.

Given the quality of the figures and the service that comes with them, especially being able to add odd figures or substitute figures, I'm happy for Leon to go ahead with whatever he needs to do to ensure the firm's viability.

Best wishes going forwards.

There is no "like" credit on the forum as you have on Twitter, so I will give this post the wargamers' ultimate salute : - +1

TheLimey

If you don't mind me asking Leon, how's the relationship with Dark Horse in the US? I make my purchases through them, as I'm US based, but I'm happy to switch over to direct if that helps you more.

A Yorkshire Lad in foreign parts

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Your probably better sourcing "locally" if for no other reason that customs duties. Shipping would also be much higher from the UK to US.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Quote from: TheLimey on 15 August 2023, 03:04:08 PMIf you don't mind me asking Leon, how's the relationship with Dark Horse in the US? I make my purchases through them, as I'm US based, but I'm happy to switch over to direct if that helps you more.

Everything's great with Dark Horse, no worries there.  Steve's spent a great deal of time and money building stocks over there so I'd always push folks to him first.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

TheLimey

Quote from: Leon on 15 August 2023, 10:00:02 PMEverything's great with Dark Horse, no worries there.  Steve's spent a great deal of time and money building stocks over there so I'd always push folks to him first.

Perfect. I've had no issues at all with him, so that's good to know.
A Yorkshire Lad in foreign parts

AntoineB

Thanks Leon for letting us know. Being one of the customers whose package was lost, I cannot thank you enough pour sending me another one. It is absolutely correct tant Brexit and an implementation of other taxation mesure by the EU has made ordering in UK a real problem. I've been ordering minis from UK for the last 25 years and never had to pay a darn thing at the customs. As for now, a typical customs taxation would be around 10-20 euros supplement. Did it stop me ordering stuff in UK? I'm afraid, yes.
That said, I'm going to order a few packs from Pendraient right now !
Thanks for all the good job and the wonderful minis.

Federico

Thank you Leon for your openness.
If I'm correct once IOSS is on, I'll have to pay VAT but not the custom fees, so considering Italy has a strong let's say "tradition" in taxation, this will probably make it even with price rise...
Moreover from a personal point of view, I too had a roof damaged, insurance "issues" and some troubled waters in my business, so I can strongly relate. One thing I learned to cope with all the issues is to take them one at time, one step after another. I know it's grandmother wisdom but it does work.
Hold tight!

Leon

Just to keep everyone updated on a few things from this announcement:

Lost Packages
As expected, we submitted our claims to Royal Mail for around £2500 of parcels and they paid us...  drum roll... £140. 

Commercial Rates
We've had a property surveyor out and they're putting our case in to the valuation office / local council.  It's a no-win, no-fee arrangement so we'll be paying them 25% of any savings they're able to make.

New Website
The costs for paying someone to do the bulk of the work were too high so I've spent the past 6 weeks building this myself.  The new platform will have all of the same features and I'm working to make sure that it looks as similar as possible to the current one.  There will be some elements that work slightly differently but hopefully not too much.  Currently the only things that we can't transfer over will be your order history and any secondary addresses you've added to your account.  We'll be able to download and save both of those from the current site but we just can't add them to the new one easily.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Enigmatic Gamer

Royal Mail is a sh*t show. They must have the worst service in the world.I suppose you have looked at other carriers?

Leon

Quote from: paulr on 19 October 2023, 03:07:27 AM~X(  >:(

:-SS  :-w

:-B  @-)

That about sums it up!

Quote from: Enigmatic Gamer on 19 October 2023, 09:45:20 AMI suppose you have looked at other carriers?

We've looked at a few but they're all either a lot more expensive (50%+ extra in most cases) or have a worse delivery record (I'm looking at your Hermes/Evri!).  Unfortunately RM are still the most cost-effective option for the small-medium parcels. 

flamingpig0

Quote from: Enigmatic Gamer on 19 October 2023, 09:45:20 AMRoyal Mail is a sh*t show. They must have the worst service in the world.I suppose you have looked at other carriers?

They used to be good with committed staff who were proud of the service. Not sure what happened to them
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

Leon

Quote from: flamingpig0 on 19 October 2023, 03:28:30 PMThey used to be good with committed staff who were proud of the service. Not sure what happened to them

I think the staff as still the same type of people (at least the ones we deal with are) but there's definitely a sense of resignation about them when you ask how things are going.  It should never have been privatised in my view, but that's a different discussion.

Enigmatic Gamer

Yes, I don't blame the staff it's the senior managers who are responsible.