Russo-Japanese Naval War 1904-05

Started by paulr, 25 June 2023, 06:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Putty applied to Krechet class destroyer, it will need a small amount :^o  of tidying up once fully dry

Japanese 1st & 2nd Squadrons sorted, prepared and drilled for masts :)  :)  :)

One of the Harusame class destroyers lost part of its bow during preparation, I claim it must have been miscast ^#(^
Putty applied, it will need a small amount :^o  of tidying up
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Has Peter proxied something for the Kamchatka? It wasn't readily apparent in the model inventory.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

I included N7709 KAMCHATKA – ARMED REPAIR SHIP in my order :)

d_Guy

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Ithoriel

QuoteI included N7709 KAMCHATKA – ARMED REPAIR SHIP in my order :)

Armed and dangerous ... to everyone but the Japanese!!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

Don't worry there's plenty of potential opposition for the Kamchatka (and friends) being worked on here in the local dockyards currently.....the Hull fishing fleet (alias the Channel Fleet) represents only one part of it....lets just say I'm reducing my existing Navwar leadpile a bit at the same time  O:-) 

Mast holes drilled and brass rod masts stepped.....models cleaned up...Navwar are pretty good, normally just a few moulding lines to get rid of.

No spray primer painting today though, with a good nor'wester coming through today, gusting to 120Km/hr tonight...can't beat Wellington on a good day!

Fast foward to 1943 and apparently the IJN is conducting night fighting exercises in a couple of weeks, somewhere to the North of Ironbottom Sound this time.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

Japanese 1st & 2nd Squadrons washed

Putty cleaned up on the Krechet class destroyer #:-S

First attempt at tiding up the putty on the Harusame class destroyer failed #-o
Reapplied the putty and successfully tidied it up once dry #:-S

Masts glued into the Russian 1st Pacific Squadron and trimmed once dry :)
Only about 10 masts required re-gluing

Masts glued into the Japanese 1st & 2nd Squadrons

Russians on painting rods ready to undercoat once the weather improves :-w

OldenBUA

QuoteNo spray primer painting today though, with a good nor'wester coming through today, gusting to 120Km/hr tonight...can't beat Wellington on a good day!

Couldn't you just open your tin of paint and put the ships downwind in that case?
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: OldenBUA on 01 August 2023, 01:40:06 PMCouldn't you just open your tin of paint and put the ships downwind in that case?
;D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Quote from: OldenBUA on 01 August 2023, 01:40:06 PMCouldn't you just open your tin of paint and put the ships downwind in that case?

Sounds like a plan!  :)

While you blokes on the top half of the world are setting new high tempreture records its currently 3 degrees C here, about 0 degrees with the wind chill and snow predicted to low levels tomorrow.

So much for global warming ;)

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

QuoteCouldn't you just open your tin of paint and put the ships downwind in that case?

Given some of the wind gusts in the last couple of days the ships and the full tin of paint would have been blown away

John Cook

Quote from: pierre the shy on 02 August 2023, 11:53:09 AMSounds like a plan!  :)
While you blokes on the top half of the world are setting new high tempreture records its currently 3 degrees C here, about 0 degrees with the wind chill and snow predicted to low levels tomorrow.

Blimey, I thought Antarctica was unihabited. 

Ithoriel

Quote from: pierre the shy on 02 August 2023, 11:53:09 AMWhile you blokes on the top half of the world are setting new high tempreture records its currently 3 degrees C here, about 0 degrees with the wind chill and snow predicted to low levels tomorrow.

July here in Scotland was wet, windy, grey and below average temperatures much of the time or "guy dreich" to use the vernacular :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Masts trimmed on the Japanese 1st & 2nd Squadrons :)

Most of the Japanese 1st Squadron joined the Russians on painting rods ready to undercoat  :)

The weather was cool and calm this morning and had clawed its way to spraying temperatures in the sun by about 11am

Brought the ships back inside to finish drying in the warm after about 45 minutes in the sun

paulr

Base colour applied to all the undercoated ships :)

Japanese:
  Neutral blue grey

Russians:
  Olive-drab - Vladivostok cruisers and 2nd Destroyer Flotilla at Port Arthur
  Khaki - Protected cruisers at Port Arthur
  Black with a brown tint for the rest