Russo-Japanese Naval War 1904-05

Started by paulr, 25 June 2023, 06:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Quote from: John Cook on 27 June 2023, 02:17:37 AMNot very much though the capital ships have a surprising amount of detail and are instantly recognisable.

I can't recognise the 1/3000 scale ones without a name label! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

hammurabi70

QuoteNot sure what AAR stand for, I'm guessing it isn't Air to Air Refuelling ;D  This is Magister Militums website https://www.magistermilitum.com/  Search under 1:6000 or Hallmark, the manufacturer

After Action Report

Raider4

QuoteI can't recognise the 1/3000 scale ones without a name label!
I'm not a big fan of labels on ships, after hearing of a game in which one battleship took a pot-shot at a distant destroyer and caused a hit. Chap asked his opponent to roll the saving throw, opponent said "maybe you should do it, it's your ship!".

Friendly fire in action.

Wouldn't happen with name labels & national flags.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Raider4 on 27 June 2023, 08:04:09 PMWouldn't happen with name labels & national flags.

You clearly haven't played with the groups I have!

Last BKC game my opponent placed an artillery template so as to catch three of my PzIVs, rolled the dice and failed to do much damage. As he reached to remove the template I pointed out he hadn't rolled for the last remaining target. The die rolls blew his FAO to fragments. Would have been less amusing if it weren't for the fact we were playing on my green mat and his Russians are all on snow bases and in snow cammo.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

We normally label bases with ship name, national flag, and General Quarters rules armour type and defence factor. Helps as not everyone in our gaming group has been studying ship recognition books for the past few decades  :-B  :)

At 1904-5 ranges with battle ensigns flying its pretty hard not to see who is on whose side, so in daylight we don't normally come across "blue on blue" situations, though after night falls things can potentially become very sticky using the optional night fighting rules we use for GQ 1&2, especially if you're not expecting ships to appear in a particular sector.

Yes John, we're pretty committed to 1/3000 with limited table sizes and existing fleets that we have. 1/6000 sounds like a very good idea if you want to do larger type fleet actions like Jutland.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

QuoteI now have a tentative Navwar order:

RUSSIA: 16 Battleships, 3 Coast defense ships, 22 Cruisers, 12 Destroyers and 6 Torpedo Boats
JAPAN: 7 Battleships, 8 Armoured Cruisers, 22 Cruisers, 14 Destroyers and 18 Torpedo Boats

£89.85  X_X  :-\

The order is now £96.60 X_X
I think its time I stopped researching :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: paulr on 01 July 2023, 07:55:34 AMThe order is now £96.60 X_X

You KNOW you won't....
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

Quote from: paulr on 01 July 2023, 07:55:34 AMThe order is now £96.60 X_X

Tell me about it! I shudder to think about the costs of my latest project.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Quote from: Lord Speedy of Leighton on 01 July 2023, 10:46:25 AMBetter round it up to a ton!

Posties aren't allowed to lift that much mass  :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

paulr

I've emailed my order to Pierre the Shy who will add it to his own, much more sensible order, and fax it to Navwar

£99.30  X_X  ;D

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 02 July 2023, 06:15:13 AMI've emailed my order to Pierre the Shy who will add it to his own, much more sensible order, and fax it to Navwar

£99.30  X_X  ;D

Depends on how you define "sensible" Paul  :)

paulr

Pierre the Shy managed to find a fax app and get it working =D>  =D>  =D>

The Navwar transaction has gone through, the closest you get to an acknowledgement of order and/or shipping ;)

I've placed an order with Leon for some MDF bases for the ships (much easier than cutting them out of sheet styrene) :)

Pierre the Shy added a 'few more' things to the order to make the postage worthwhile ;)

pierre the shy

Made all the necessary labels for the "Hull fishing fleet" aka (in 1905) as the Channel Fleet for when everything arrives.....

12 pre-dreadnought battleships, 5 Armoured cruisers, 7 2nd class/scouting cruisers and 12 TBD divisions (each representing 3/4 small TBD's but only 1 actual model per base).