Sam Mustafa's New WWII Naval Rules - Nimitz

Started by T13A, 13 March 2023, 09:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

QuoteI made the mistake of looking at Magister Militum's 1/6000th scale stuff.

I do fancy Iron Bottom Sound in 1/6000 :)

Now, where do I find a professional painter with the patience and eyesight to do scores of 1/6000 ships and the time to paint them before I go haring off to the next project?
Some while back, but I painted the bulk of WW2's capital ships in under a week.

The 1/6000 are a great example of smaller minis requiring far less work.
My suggested order of painting used to be posted on the Hallmark website.

From memory.
   Main colour all over the ships.
   Pick out wooden decks where appropriate (Many navies had adopted a linoleum substitute 
       or stripped the wood as a fire risk by WW2).
   Apply a wash that picks out turrets and other upper works detail.

Ocean colour on the textured sea bases.
   Wash slightly darker.
   Drybrush slightly lighter.

Glue the ships onto the bases.
   Very light white drybrush of bow and stern waves.

Paint tab at back of base a national colour, and ink on a three letter/digit identifier.

kustenjaeger

Quote from: T13A on 13 March 2023, 08:34:20 PMHi

Couldn't resist, Amazon currently have a discount on the rules, down from £40.00 to £31.53 and free postage using my son's Prime account. Should be here Wednesday. Now to decide on scale of ships...... and British v Italian in the Med. or maybe the Pacific, decisions, decisions.... :-\

Cheers Paul

Thanks Paul - I hadn't noticed the Amazon sale price so I have just snapped up a copy.

Edward

hammurabi70

Quote from: T13A on 13 March 2023, 11:23:23 AMHi Ithoriel

Fantastic, thanks for all the information. I would be very interested to hear what you think of the rules in due course, particularly if you can use them solo. I am left wondering how they will play on a table 6ft x 4ft when a 'capital' ship is 8cm long, I tend to like a lot of manoeuvering room in my games.  :-\

Cheers Paul

Solo depends on your view of Solo.  Each side rolls a die with the higher choosing whether to move first and then fire first or to move second and fire second having suffered from the opponents firing: do you want to have the advantage of manoeuvre or the advantage of first fire?  Other than that it makes no difference.  Essentially all ships move at the same general speeds, which is divided into fast, normal or slow, with the last being compulsory when badly damaged. There are short and long ranges for guns with calibre having no difference but there is a division between big guns (capital ships and heavy cruisers) and small guns (light cruisers and below, secondary armament).  Torpedoes are treated as guns that do a different sort of damage but are only used at short range, unless you are Japanese.  Game play is reduced to a few core principles so will not attract the 'rivet-counter' player but for those who are happy with non-complex rules it should give a good game.  The first trial play at the club has given it the thumbs up.

paulr

Thanks for the summary hammurabi70

While definitely not a 'rivet-counter' I want a bit more differentiation ;)

I'll be sticking GQ I//II :)

We use Navwar 1:3,000 ships and are very happy with the balance between detail and table space
The ordering process is a little old school but the service is prompt

My Iron Bottom Sound terrain is 1:18,000 which matches the revised ground scale we use for GQ I/II :D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

hammurabi70

Additionally there is HALSEY, which covers operational aspects.  That runs on three turns to the day: AM, PM, Night.  This covers air operations, submarines and so forth.  I know nothing of it other than flipping the pages but it is impressive that the rules aim to give you an integrated experience.

fulcrum

Nanwar are still in business, I faxed an order on Thursday night and my credit card has been charged by "Navwar".

You can't email, phone or place an order on the website - you have to physically post or fax it.

Regards

Lee

flamingpig0

Quote from: fulcrum on 18 March 2023, 09:21:55 AMNanwar are still in business, I faxed an order on Thursday night and my credit card has been charged by "Navwar".

You can't email, phone or place an order on the website - you have to physically post or fax it.

Regards

Lee

Somewhere there is a joke about Brexit.
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

fsn

QuoteNanwar are still in business,
If only it were Nanwar.  :D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Just played out a game inspired by the Battle of the River Plate.

Photos were taken :)

I'll upload them later and post an AAR.

It proved to be a fun little game though the dice definitely favoured one side. Was tempted to fudge die rolls a couple of times but resisted and I'm glad I did.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

flamingpig0

"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

mollinary

My 'decisive' attacks usually culminate in this, but at 20paces! 

2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

T13A

Hi Lee

QuoteNanwar are still in business, I faxed an order on Thursday night and my credit card has been charged by "Navwar"

Apologies if I am being really dumb but did you put all of your credit card details order in your fax? It just that I wiil be putting an order in myself soon.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

hammurabi70

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 March 2023, 02:51:50 PMJust played out a game inspired by the Battle of the River Plate.

Photos were taken :)

I'll upload them later and post an AAR.

Please do!

paulr

QuoteHi Lee

Apologies if I am being really dumb but did you put all of your credit card details order in your fax? It just that I wiil be putting an order in myself soon.

Cheers Paul

In my experience the short answer yes, the only other way is to phone him during shop hours (Saturday afternoon IIRC), a bit tricky & costly from the Antipodes

The good news is that fax is so rare that the odds of the info going astray is pretty remote ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

hammurabi70

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 13 March 2023, 10:53:11 PMSome while back, but I painted the bulk of WW2's capital ships in under a week.

The 1/6000 are a great example of smaller minis requiring far less work.
My suggested order of painting used to be posted on the Hallmark website.

From memory.
   Main colour all over the ships.
   Pick out wooden decks where appropriate (Many navies had adopted a linoleum substitute
       or stripped the wood as a fire risk by WW2).
   Apply a wash that picks out turrets and other upper works detail.

Ocean colour on the textured sea bases.
   Wash slightly darker.
   Drybrush slightly lighter.

Glue the ships onto the bases.
   Very light white drybrush of bow and stern waves.

Paint tab at back of base a national colour, and ink on a three letter/digit identifier.

Thanks for that, very useful tips for painting.  However, I have been fighting off the lure of 1/6000 with my IBS game for years.  I already have so many painting jobs in hand I think I can avoid the temptation ... for now.  Any photos to go with your fleets and AARs for 1/6000 ships?  Are they very visible at any distance other than close?