Sam Mustafa's New WWII Naval Rules - Nimitz

Started by T13A, 13 March 2023, 09:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T13A

Hi

Just wondering about these rules; does anybody know if any 1/4800 scale WWII model ships are available in the UK?

After doing a very quick search online the only company that seems to come up is 'Shapeways Miniatures' who seem to be in the US.

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

You can get lots 1/3000, but not aware of any 1/4800th Leciester did a comprehensive range but that disapperaed many years ago.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Ithoriel

Not aware of any 1/4800 scale WW2 stuff. Tumbling Dice are the only ones doing that scale that I'm aware of and they are Anglo-Dutch Wars and Napoleonics.

Magister Militum do/did 1/6000 WW2 but they seemed pricey to me when I looked at them.

Just got the rules yesterday and am planning to use my Navwar 1/3000 stuff. I might even be pushed into painting some more! There are plenty somewhere in the foothills of the lead mountains awaiting a coat of paint.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

kustenjaeger

I've got some sample 1/3000 (3 x cruisers and 4 x destroyers) for the IJN and USN that I ought to finish painting and do labels for the bases.

I can't conceive of being able to go smaller than 1/3000 and, with my eyesight, have a clue what the ships are.  Even in 1/3000 I need the labels to differentiate between classes.

Edward

T13A

Hi

Many thanks to all for the swift replys.

Could someone please tell be roughly the actual size of say a 'battleship' in 1/3000 scale and are Navwar still in business? And Ithoriel, did you buy the PDF version of the rules or get a hard copy from somewhere?

Many thanks as always.

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

Ithoriel

Paul,

I got a hard copy of the rules from Amazon. Print on demand and not cheap at £40 but at least I have an Amazon Prime account so no postage and delivered Saturday having been ordered Thursday evening.

I have the pdf's for the ship and aircraft data, the QRF and the "Freya" introductory scenario downloaded free from Sam Mustafa's site.

Navwar are still going or were a couple of weeks ago.

I have the Tirpitz in front of me - she's 8cm long in 1/3000.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

T13A

Hi Ithoriel

Fantastic, thanks for all the information. I would be very interested to hear what you think of the rules in due course, particularly if you can use them solo. I am left wondering how they will play on a table 6ft x 4ft when a 'capital' ship is 8cm long, I tend to like a lot of manoeuvering room in my games.  :-\

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

steve_holmes_11

Mick Yarrow has a 1/4800 naval range covering WW1 and WW2.
Shapeways do 3d prints.

Magister Militum produce the old Figurehead / Hallmark ranges (1/6000 for the world wars).
I have some of these, the detail is crisp and recognition hasn't been a problem.

Size wise, google the dimensions of the ship and divide by 4800, 3000 or whatever scale applies.
Easy enough unless you don't have a computer.

Has anybody seen the rules yet?

Orcs

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 13 March 2023, 11:25:30 AMSize wise, google the dimensions of the ship and divide by 4800, 3000 or whatever scale applies.
Easy enough unless you don't have a computer.

I am just wondering who and how someone would be reading this forum without a computer, or equivalent device?  ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fred.

QuoteI am just wondering who and how someone would be reading this forum without a computer, or equivalent device?  ;D
Doesn't one have your man print off a copy to peruse over you early morning cup of tea?

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

T13A

Hi

Couldn't resist, Amazon currently have a discount on the rules, down from £40.00 to £31.53 and free postage using my son's Prime account. Should be here Wednesday. Now to decide on scale of ships...... and British v Italian in the Med. or maybe the Pacific, decisions, decisions.... :-\

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Ithoriel

Quote from: T13A on 13 March 2023, 11:23:23 AMI am left wondering how they will play on a table 6ft x 4ft when a 'capital' ship is 8cm long, I tend to like a lot of manoeuvering room in my games.  :-\

The table is assumed to scroll. If a ship that is not disengaging leaves the table everything moves so as to create space. As the rules say, if you need to make space in two dimensions at once you need a bigger table or smaller ship models :-)

Ithoriel

I made the mistake of looking at Magister Militum's 1/6000th scale stuff.

I do fancy Iron Bottom Sound in 1/6000 :)

Now, where do I find a professional painter with the patience and eyesight to do scores of 1/6000 ships and the time to paint them before I go haring off to the next project?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner