French Napoleonic Year XI and 1807/08 artillery systems

Started by Westmarcher, 16 October 2022, 07:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

I'm no great expert on the Napoleonic era. I haven't played a Napoleonic war-game for more than 20 years and ever since selling my 6mm Nap collection some 5 or so years later, I've resisted re-starting a new Nap collection in favour of other periods. But, after seeing a tutorial on YouTube on painting Pendraken French Naps, I took a daft wee notion today to look at Pendraken's 1809 range .... and couldn't find a French 6 pounder.  What?  :o  How could this be?  Wasn't the French Gribeauval artillery system overhauled and replaced by the Year XI system in 1803 and the 4 and 8 pounders replaced by 6 pounders by the time of the 1809 campaign? So I did 'some research' and found this article/essay on the excellent Calpe Miniatures website.

Given the excellence of their Napoleonic ranges, I consider that Calpe takes it's research seriously so worthy of retention in the Resources section for anyone who may not only be interested in how French artillery evolved during this era but also how elements of the old Gribeauval system still managed to survive in service as the wars went on.
*(except for Line Horse Artillery who retained the 4 pounders?)

French Napoleonic Artillery systems

Incidentally, for the keen collectors out there, do you use a proxy for the 6 pounder and if so, what one (e.g., Austrian)?

Oh, and if Leon fancies doing a 6 pounder, here's Calpe's version of the M1808 which Calpe states was the standard field artillery piece of the French army after 1808. The gun has a system XI barrel on the composite M1808 carriage with components of both the System XI and Gribeauval carriages.  :)

French M1808 6 pdr.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

John Cook

Any of the 'German' 6pdrs from the 1809 range would do I think.  The 6pdr tube of so-called M1808 system was a AnXI tube extended to 17 calibers mounted on a modified Gribeaval carriage.   In 10mm the difference is hardly discernable though you might want to make the skids at the end of the trail a bit more rounded. 
Possibly more important than the lack of a ANXI 6pdr, is the absence of a French caisson from the range. 
Up until 1807 there were more foreign, largely Austrian, than French pieces in use in the Grand army.  Even in 1809 Gribeaval 8pdrs were still in use, in 2 and 3 Corps and by the horse artillery generally.  Some of the 6pdr in 11 Corps were still captured Austrian pieces.  Only in 1810 did the AnXI/M1808 6pdr become universal for both foot and horse artillery, though never in the Peninsula where 8pdr Gribeauval pieces were used exclusively until the close of the war.  Dawson's and Summerfield's Napoleonic Artillery is the best description of pieces, of all nations, under a single cover.

Westmarcher

Thanks. As one of the 'keen' collectors, I was hoping you'd spot this one.  :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

Quote from: John Cook on 18 October 2022, 11:45:21 AMPossibly more important than the lack of a ANXI 6pdr, is the absence of a French caisson from the range. 
Indeed. I did read somewhere on this forum that cassions were on the list.

"I've got a customer who's wanting all of the artillery wagons/limbers/caissons for the major Naps nations so I've put him in touch with one of our straightline guys to sort that out.  I'm not expecting to see anything until early next year but at least it's in hand." - Leon  5/7/21https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20963.15.html

In the meantime I use Lancer Miniatures offering, but swap out the horses.

https://lancerminiatures.com/product/french-napoleonic-ammo-wagon/

Quote from: John Cook on 18 October 2022, 11:45:21 AMDawson's and Summerfield's Napoleonic Artillery is the best description of pieces, of all nations, under a single cover.
Indeed
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Napoleonic-Artillery-Anthony-L-Dawson/dp/1861269234/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2ADJJ9LJP44I&keywords=napoleonic+artillery&qid=1666111042&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjcwIiwicXNhIjoiMS44MSIsInFzcCI6IjEuNTAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=napoleonic+artillery%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-1

I'd also recommend Kevin Kiley (only £3.99 if you can Kindle)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Artillery-Napoleonic-Wars-Kevin-Kiley-ebook/dp/B00THHTRB0/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2ADJJ9LJP44I&keywords=napoleonic+artillery&qid=1666111124&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjcwIiwicXNhIjoiMS44MSIsInFzcCI6IjEuNTAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=napoleonic+artillery%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-3
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: fsn on 18 October 2022, 05:47:33 PMIndeed. I did read somewhere on this forum that cassions were on the list.

"I've got a customer who's wanting all of the artillery wagons/limbers/caissons for the major Naps nations so I've put him in touch with one of our straightline guys to sort that out.  I'm not expecting to see anything until early next year but at least it's in hand." - Leon  5/7/21https://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20963.15.html

I heard from him today actually, he's just sent the reference info for the Russian limber/caission over to one of our designers.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!