Army Painter System

Started by Hertsblue, 11 February 2011, 10:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rexhurley

Quote from: Leon on 20 June 2011, 12:41:29 AM
Has anyone had any long-term problems with the B&Q type varnishes?  I was chatting to a guy a few shows back about alternatives to Army Painter, and he mentioned that his figures had become discoloured over a couple of years, turning white?

Common problem with using an ink/varinsh type stgain if figures are lef tout and exposed to a lot of light, i.e. in a glass fronted display case happened to a friend of mine everyday they looked scrummy, everyday the sun came up and beamed into his gaming room...cabinent..early the nextyear hald the figure was whitish half the figure was as painted...doh!

Bunny

GordonY,

Sorry just joined the forum and looking for an answer.

Does the B&Q rosewood varnish equate to Mid or Dark Tone from AP?

Thanks

Bunny

GordonY

Pretty much a miid tone, certainly not the dark one, I did have a tin of that and this stuff is a lot lighter and a damn sight cheaper.

Techno

Quote from: rexhurley on 11 April 2012, 04:28:30 AM
Common problem with using an ink/varinsh type stgain if figures are lef tout and exposed to a lot of light, i.e. in a glass fronted display case happened to a friend of mine everyday they looked scrummy, everyday the sun came up and beamed into his gaming room...cabinent..early the nextyear hald the figure was whitish half the figure was as painted...doh!

I found to my cost that Windsor and Newton inks weren't particularly colourfast...and changed shade quite drastically over time.
That was a few years ago now. Don't know if that's the case nowadays.
Cheers - Phil.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Interesting. I've used Windsor & Newton 'Sepia' and 'Black' inks for years, never had a problem with them at all, but they are kept in a dark cupboard until needed and all my figures are boxed too..  :-\
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

I think you should be OK with that Lemmey.

My 'favouritist' figures were kept in a clear plastic case on a windowsill.....and got a lot of sunshine.
From memory....some of the W&N colour washes seemed to barely change, (They did lighten a tad over time) while others really did alter..
A particular favourite chaos warrior had been given a purple wash over gold, and looked quite spiffy !
He ended up with a really vile pink colour armour.

There were a lot of other figures in the case that I'd used Rotring inks on......They didn't seem to change a jot !
Sadly Rotring don't do the range of inks that they used to...But those were what we used in the studio before the GW inks came out.
Personally I always much preferred the Rotring.

Cheers - Phil.

Bunny

GordonY

Bunny dont forget to thin it with some water before using it, about 3 parts Varnish to 1 part water, otherwise its just too thick.

Patch_G

I'd avoid the primers. I've found they are very powdery and grainy leaving small figs looking pretty bad. Its a shame as the colour range is good and in a good size can compared to Humbrol etc. but the quality is shocking.