Army Painter System

Started by Hertsblue, 11 February 2011, 10:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hertsblue

Has anyone tried the Army Painter system on 10mm figures? For those who haven't seen it advertised, it consists of an overall spray in a basic colour (there are about a dozen in all) onto which you paint the major detail. The figures are then dipped into a special varnish which acts a bit like an ink wash and settles into the incised detail, creating the impression of shading. A mate of mine has used it on 28mm figures with pleasing results - particularly on the lighter colours. And, of course, it's very much quicker than three-part shading. Downside is that it's fairly pricey (the varnish alone is over £17 a can).

I was thinking that it might be a little overpowering for small figures. Anyone actually tried it? :-\
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Aquahog

I've seen it done but frankly I prefer prime-base-wash-base again over it. Almost as fast and a more natural color progression.

alnewhaven

Use it although I apply the varnish by brush, less thick and dries quicker
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."
-(Sign over the entrance to the SR-71 operating location Kadena, Japan).

GordonY

I used my own home-brewed version, B&Q Satin Rosewood varnish, thinned with water, 3 parts varnish to 1 part water, total cost for a litre £8.

Army painter, ok its all done for you but total cost for a litre, £72, its a no-brainer really.

Oh and another bonus for the home-brew is that you can clean your brushes with water.  ;)

Gordon

Leon

I'm currently looking at stocking some of the Army Painter stuff, but the pricing is putting me off somewhat.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

exilesjjb

not used it on 10mm but used it on my 28mm stuff and I love the results i feel it works best on irregular units but does speed things up a little. check out my blog for all my celts that are using the AP dip (darktone) once i have emptied this tin will look at alt to AP (I got this one as payment for a paint job, I feel they are pricey)
Peace
James Brewerton (Exiles Painting)

Luddite

Not used it but i've seen some figures finished in it and for me personally i think it look poor. 

I thought it made them look like cheap plastics. 

It seems to round of a lot of the sharp detain on the figures.

And its WAY too pricey.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Sandinista

I've used wood stain, £3-4 for the same size tins, with a lot more shades to choose from. Thins down ok with white spirit to vary the effect, drys ok and looks fine after a spray with matt varnish.

Hertsblue

Seems like the consensus is that it's not worth the money. OK, back to the Dulux roller!
When you realise we're all mad, life makes a lot more sense.

www.rulesdepot.net

Last Hussar

the stain/Varnish.  I bought the wrong kind - it was thick and opaque.  What am I looking for?
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

GordonY

13 February 2011, 10:01:56 AM #10 Last Edit: 13 February 2011, 09:55:00 PM by Leon
This

remember to thin it with some water, this Punic cavalry were done with this stuff.

Gordon

EDIT: Pic resized.

zaapark

In states I use the Minwax water based furniture stain.  Tried the oil based stained but went on thick and took forever to dry.  And like GordonY said you can get it in any color.  I get the black and mix it with an medium brown to get the right color. 
chris

Maenoferren

Quote from: GordonY on 13 February 2011, 10:01:56 AM
This

remember to thin it with some water, this Punic cavalry were done with this stuff.

Gordon

EDIT: Pic resized.
Hi Gordon, Whats the 28mm fig?
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

GordonY

Thats a GZG figure from their Nuns wi Guns range, I have a small convent of these Sisters of the Nasty Habits, the game plan is the sight of all the exposed flesh will be distracting to my opponents.

Gordon

nikharwood

Like it...reminds me of this a bit: