Ithoriel's Strength & Honour DIY

Started by Ithoriel, 31 May 2022, 05:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

I do like those bases of the 2mm troops. They do have the look of big units of troops. I like yours more than some I saw on the original demo videos, I think the red helps make them pop from the base more. 

I think your very flat bare Gaul may need some more terrain. Some ridge or hill lines would be a good start - at this scale you should be able to do some quite natural looking hills with shapes / layers under the cloth. Other terrain wise, I have no idea, I don't really know how cleared terrain was in this era
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Ithoriel

Thanks, fred.

There's a whole port city out of shot bottom left and a stone fort (actually Qasr B'shir, a Late Roman frontier fort in what is now Jordan)  as well as the large camp in the top photo, all base coated but waiting to be painted.

There's most of a bathmat's worth of forest waiting in the wings and an assortment of Romanised and Gallic farms, fortified and unfortified baggage, rivers, lakes, marshes, bridges and hills all waiting to be assembled and painted.

Not to mention the Romans to finish and the Gauls to be started.

All before enthusiasm for another project grabs me and I'm off down another rabbit hole! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

I knew you'd have it covered!

The terrain is probably the biggest thing to do with a new scale. As you list out, there is quite a lot of different stuff needed. I'd suggest going with the forest first as you should be able to get a good area done pretty quickly, and in game wise it is always useful!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

:-bd  =D>  :-bd  =D>

I'd suggest bumping some Gauls up the painting queue a little so you can get some games in to help maintain interest & enthusiasm
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Slowly getting paint on figures for Strength and Honour again.

Two units of skirmishers this time.

Infantry skirmisher units can be fielded as units or broken down into four skirmish lines or supports. It can provide a skirmish line and three supports to one unit, a skirmish line to four units, etc.

Skirmish lines boost the attached unit's combat power but are lost on a 1D6 roll of 1-4 if the unit is in combat.

Support lines are simply reserve skirmish lines allowing an unengaged unit to replace a lost skirmish line.

As a result I have painted two complete units, eight skirmish lines and six support lines to cover all the permutations. Probably overkill but you never know.

The core units for a Roman Warlord force is a camp, a general, a veteran legion, two experienced legions and a unit of skirmishers so I can finally field the core force plus some extras.

Gauls next to provide some opposition.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

mmcv

Just catching up on this, really coming together well, looking forward to seeing the gallic opposition!

Heedless Horseman

REALLY looking forward to the Chequered and Striped trews! SORRY...look fine... but my tiring eyes can only see a coloured 'blob'. However, MUCH better than a cardboard counter... so keep it up!  :)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)