New Zealand division on Crete 1941

Started by Rhys, 29 May 2022, 12:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhys

I've started to post up some information on a game we played 20 years ago focusing on the NZ divison on Crete in 1941.
Hopefully some find it usefull in how I went about researching and staging the refight.
Attack Attack Attack until;
A: They're all dead.
B: We're all dead
Delete where applicable.

Steve J

Much appreciated old chap and I'm sure it will be useful for my planned campaign in the Autumn :) .

fred.

Thanks for doing this Rhys, Crete is on the 'quite like to do' list!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

Quote from: Rhys on 29 May 2022, 12:05:39 PMI've started to post up some information on a game we played 20 years ago focusing on the NZ divison on Crete in 1941.
Hopefully some find it usefull in how I went about researching and staging the refight.

Superb :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Rhys

Second post is up with the OOB for the 2nd NZ division plus other troops in the Maleme-Suda bay sector. This is based on the NZ official histories and a command decision OOB I found somewhere on the net.
Delete where applicable.

fred.

Thanks for sharing - as you note not many heavy weapons, and a right mix of guns!

What does 1 stand represent in real world terms - I'm thinking a platoon?

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

Quote from: fred. on 30 May 2022, 12:33:55 PMThanks for sharing - as you note not many heavy weapons, and a right mix of guns!

What does 1 stand represent in real world terms - I'm thinking a platoon?

Yes, it's for Spearhead so a Platoon for infantry, or five real world vehicles/guns.

There's a bit of fudging here and there but broadly that's about it.

Excellent stuff, Rhys! Ta :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

Cheers TP

Always a bit of fudging needed to fit unit counts to gaming units!

toxicpixie

Quote from: fred. on 30 May 2022, 09:13:58 PMCheers TP

Always a bit of fudging needed to fit unit counts to gaming units!

Spearhead is mostly consistent, at least to the OOBs they worked from so it evens out.

Except those awkward bits where you have eg a two gun section at Battalion which would make six guns which becomes one model at Regt.

Or in some cases that becomes a gun model at Battalion still because bias :D

Rhys

And the 3rd part is up with the German OOB. This contains the troops for the Maleme-Galatas sector and also the reserves for the entire operation. Again theres a bit of guesswork but I think its mostly correct.
While Spearhead has its issues here and there (I can think of a few small things I would like changed) our extended group in New Zealand are quite happy to use it as written. The system takes most of the "gods eye view" out of the game and lets players actually command a brigade rather than micromanage platoons. I have even managed to run a division in a 1 day game (Russian 1980's motor rifle division with 4 regiments plus divisional supports).
Delete where applicable.

Steve J

Thanks Rhys, once again very useful stuff  :) .

toxicpixie

Quote from: Rhys on 31 May 2022, 07:20:50 AMAnd the 3rd part is up with the German OOB. This contains the troops for the Maleme-Galatas sector and also the reserves for the entire operation. Again theres a bit of guesswork but I think its mostly correct.
While Spearhead has its issues here and there (I can think of a few small things I would like changed) our extended group in New Zealand are quite happy to use it as written. The system takes most of the "gods eye view" out of the game and lets players actually command a brigade rather than micromanage platoons. I have even managed to run a division in a 1 day game (Russian 1980's motor rifle division with 4 regiments plus divisional supports).

It's my favourite WW2 game, in all honesty!

Rhys

And they are coming thick and fast. Part 4 up and we are onto the table. The terrain was largely made from recycled carpet (I was a greenie 20 years ago, or maybe I was just broke...). I'll even throw in a photo.
Maleme Airfield at front left, and Suda bay is beyond the far left. Photo taken during setup on the Saturday morning (note the troop trays).
Delete where applicable.

toxicpixie

Quote from: Rhys on 01 June 2022, 07:03:11 AMAnd they are coming thick and fast. Part 4 up and we are onto the table. The terrain was largely made from recycled carpet (I was a greenie 20 years ago, or maybe I was just broke...). I'll even throw in a photo.
Maleme Airfield at front left, and Suda bay is beyond the far left. Photo taken during setup on the Saturday morning (note the troop trays).

I wouldn't fault the carport tiles, they look pretty good in that pic!

Rhys

04 June 2022, 05:16:09 AM #14 Last Edit: 04 June 2022, 05:26:48 AM by Rhys
I've just posted part 5 of the series and theres still a few to go yet. This one covers how to make your own buildings for those on a budget (or who are just terminally tight).

Delete where applicable.