Matt Car Lacquer

Started by John Cook, 28 April 2022, 12:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Cook

I was in Halfords the day before yesterday, for an entirely unrelated reason, but noticed aerosol sprays of matt, and gloss, lacquer for use on car paint finishes. 

I normally avoid sprays but was wondering if matt lacquer might be a more durable finish than the Vallejo brush-on matt varnish I use at the moment.

My question is, has anybody used a matt car lacquer on their models and what was the result?

howayman

If its solvent based i would not recommend using it. If its acrylic or water based you could give it a test.

Ithoriel

Short answer, yes and it was fine.

Shake well ( the can, not you), spray in several short, light bursts (don't drown the things), spray at the recommended distance (it's recommended for a reason), spraying when it's cold or damp is not a good idea, Confucius he say,"man who spray into wind get his own back."

If the varnish turns cloudy, brush it with brush-on varnish in the affected area(s) and that, in my experience, fixes the problem.

I use spray cans a lot, because I'm too broke/ cheap to buy a spray gun, and have had no real problems with them.   
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

What Ithorial said - I tend to use a dull coat as I prefer a more very flat Matt finish (I use a gloss "magic wash" a lot and it needs the edge taking off!), but the Halfords Matt is a solid finish other wise (and if you like a gloss "toy soldier" finish them the semi/gloss and gloss are also good!).

Their black Matt spray is a good primer as well, as is their grey!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

John Cook

Thanks for that.  I was hoping it would be more durable and avoid the notorious clouding that affects model spray varnishes sometimes, which is always a danger if there is a 'r'in the month or the moon is on the wane.  I might give it a go on some buildings.

toxicpixie

I've had as much cloudy varnish issues with brush on as I have with sprays! Which isn't much but enough to always make me wary and do a test batch first...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The army painter spray I use only goes cloudy on transparent plastic...
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021