3d printed structures.

Started by Shapur II, 12 February 2022, 11:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shapur II

No painting today as I. have been repairing and running the printer most of the day.  As I push building through my slicer program I am aware that the footprint of most structures are quite large.

To counter that I often play with the x,y scale to reduce the footprint while leaving the z scale as recommended to keep the structures height relative to the figures. 

Do other's do this?  If so is there a preferred footprint for structures?  I typically try to keep buildings under 10cm in any one dimension. This is individual structures, not farm complexes like La Haye Sainte or Hougoumont.  That may mean reducing a 28mm scale model by 50% or more or increasing a 6mm scaled model by 125% .  I do aim for 35-45 mm in height.  Larger buildings will house a single troop base  with a standard at 50 x 25mm

Stu
Active Projects

10mm 1809 Austrians, 1809 French,1809 Bavarians, Normans, Arabs

Rules
HFG, Marshal's Baton, Hail Caesar, Black Powder

John Cook

Quote from: Stewart.gibson on 12 February 2022, 11:22:31 PMAs I push building through my slicer program I am aware that the footprint of most structures are quite large.
To counter that I often play with the x,y scale to reduce the footprint while leaving the z scale as recommended to keep the structures height relative to the figures. 

Never really thought about it.  As long as the feature look right I don't worry about x,y or z.

Aksu

I haven't used scaling when slicing, but I remember hearing somewhere that many modellers keep the height accurate and distort the width dimensions when designing structures for gaming. Basically the same thing as your approach. Less windows vs skinny windows is the only difference I suppose.
Cheers,
Aksu

fred.

I've done something similar with wargames buildings - aiming for a 1/300th ground scale, but keeping 1/150 vertical scale.  As Asku says if you are just scaling within the software then you will need to check that windows and doors look sensible.

Total Battle Miniatures have a whole range based on reduced footprint, while keeping vertical scale in line with figure scale. I have quite a few of these, and they work really well when your bases of troops are at a representative scale too. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

John Cook

Quote from: John Cook on 13 February 2022, 02:23:33 AMNever really thought about it.  As long as the feature look right I don't worry about x,y or z.

Ah, I see this is about 3D printing.  Shouldn't post when I'm outside half a bottle of red.  Ignore my last.

Shapur II

Quote from: John Cook on 13 February 2022, 10:00:23 AMAh, I see this is about 3D printing.  Shouldn't post when I'm outside half a bottle of red.  Ignore my last.

Many things loose their perspective when disguised by the fog of wine.  Most times for the better I find...
Active Projects

Rules

Shapur II

Quote from: Aksu on 13 February 2022, 05:15:21 AMLess windows vs skinny windows is the only difference I suppose.

This is an issue of course. Which, depending on technology available,  can become a printing issue.   Alas I lack the tools and skills needed to design my own models. I have designed some in tinkered but they lack textures like thatched or tiled roofs and stone/brickwork. 

Stu
Active Projects

Rules