Why this painting tutorial?

Started by Last Hussar, 19 January 2022, 12:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Hussar

I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

steve_holmes_11

Not sure I understand the question.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

I also do not understand the question, nor the exclamation "oi!" Has Greg Wagman committed some cardinal sin or other. I would have thought a tutorial by someone who does not see himself as a top painter would be more useful to the average gamer wanting to get figures on the table quickly, rather than a tutorial from someone who has mastered the fine art of producing exceptional figures, but only after years of practice and experience.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

The "oi!" was because I had already posted that link on the forum.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

steve_holmes_11

QuoteI also do not understand the question, nor the exclamation "oi!" Has Greg Wagman committed some cardinal sin or other. I would have thought a tutorial by someone who does not see himself as a top painter would be more useful to the average gamer wanting to get figures on the table quickly, rather than a tutorial from someone who has mastered the fine art of producing exceptional figures, but only after years of practice and experience.
I also welcome painting tips for average painters.

Proper tips for gamers; not a hint of 16 tone wet-palette blending now a sniff of agrax earthshade.

QuoteYou blend 16 tones and what do you get?
Another day older and your figure's unfinished.

mollinary

That is an excellent, clear, unpatronising, description of how to produce great figures in 10mm with simple techniques.  Thanks for sharing. Not enormously dissimilar from the method I use myself, although I do paint the flesh first. The grey highlight is a good tip, which I keep forgetting to use!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

d_Guy

I could me wrong but I think LH's point was that Pendraken figures were those being painted.

I thought it a simple, fast method for painting 10mm for wargaming. Like Mollinary I start with flesh and work out. I have tried the dry brush grey to show highlights but always over do it and have to repaint the base coat.   :'(
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Last Hussar

A bit of column A, a little of column B.
The plug for Pendraken was unexpected when I clicked the video, but I couldn't think of a better action than to link when I saw it.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

John Cook

20 January 2022, 02:55:14 AM #9 Last Edit: 20 January 2022, 03:04:22 AM by John Cook
Quote from: d_Guy on 19 January 2022, 08:38:30 PMI have tried the dry brush grey to show highlights but always over do it and have to repaint the base coat.   :'(

Me too.  I tried white once and that was way too stark, grey was not much better.  I found Vallejo Khaki Grey much better for all periods.  This, however, is over the finished figure, not the undercoat.  It gives a slightly dusty effect, picks out the highlights perfectly and is particularly effective on vehicles.  The dry brushing has to be very dry though.

paulr

I use Vallejo Deck Tan for my final dry brush

To ensure it is a very light dry brush I use a 1/2" wide flat brush and apply a very limited amount of paint to only one side of the brush. I then wipe off most of this paint on to my plastic dry brushing tray. (When I'm reloading the brush I will pick up some of this paint.)

I then lightly brush downwards only twice on each side of the figure using the other side of the brush, i.e. the side of the brush with no paint on it

This picks out the high spots and applies a very very limited amount of dust highlight
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

jambo1

A very interesting tutorial, really handy. :)