Seeking inspiration

Started by FierceKitty, 14 November 2021, 06:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Who has ideas about how to model a wicker man for a Celtic baggage train? I envision something about 2" high, with enough open structure to show that it's hollow, and possibly tenanted. Christopher Lee and Britt Eckland are not required.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno II

Hi Alexander... :)

First thought is to make a rough human shape, (to your desired height) out of something like wax....(Cheapo candle perhaps ?).
Wrap that in lots of fuse wire (or similar).....Then melt the wax, so you're left with a hollow wire frame.

Is that at all practical ?

I'll keep my thinking cap on ! :-\

Cheers - Phil. :)

FierceKitty

Steve J

Not a bad idea Phil. The other option is to get one 3D printed. Then there is the issue of painting the inhabitants as it were. You could have it built in two have with a platform in the middle for the figures to stand on, which solves the painting issue.

FierceKitty

I've got some leftover !:144 plastic railway figures.

Westmarcher

Thinking wire mesh might be a useful material for scratch building, how about Javis Fencing Wire Mesh?
Javis Wire Mesh
I was also wondering if there are any other model railway products out there such as wattle fencing (looks like wicker), preferably plastic for bending. Also, Pendraken ECW gabions might be good for legs (two stacked on top of each other for each leg).  :-\ 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

FierceKitty

That looks just about right. Ta.

Heedless Horseman

Could make an armature (s) from wire, superglued or soldered...then wind thread bits around, white glueing to harden?
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

d_Guy

Kitty, while going through a list of bookmarks looking for something else last night I found this. Thought of you:

https://jnrpaintshop.blogspot.com/2012/07/wicker-man.html

Maybe a useful technique?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

FierceKitty

Again, thanks. The response has been alarmingly enthusiastic.