Sandbags

Started by Heedless Horseman, 12 October 2021, 05:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

While'st on another forum, had a random thought.
Sandbags are Hessian... so 'normal' sandbag colour. But, has anyone seen 'Dyed' sandbags... say O/D or darker than normal?
Dampness and Dirt would always change colour... but as film set dressing... 'think' not always same shade?
Curious?
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

They were often improvised from domestic bags of a suitable size, such as pillow cases and matteress covers, so a few can be bright colours. Likewise local sacks with comercial logos could be used.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

In WWI as part of anti-sniper measures sandbag parapets were encouraged to be made irregular, including sandbags of different colours.  The even pale brown row of sandbags was found to make it much too easy for a sniper to spot someone looking over the trench, or even being a bit too tall when moving.

But with modelling of sandbags the more you stray from the expected standard colours it can make things look a bit odd. A bit like rivers being blue...
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Heedless Horseman

LK , of course.  But, somewhere in my murky memory, I have seen Military sandbags that weren't 'Hessian' colour.
It 'could' be that I have seen 'fossilised' sandbags, 'greened' with age.. just...

Pretty sure that troops in real world would have shovelled real world dirt over sandbagged positions... but 'movies' or dioramas have such 'obvious' sandbagged positions!
Just wondering?

Heedless Horseman

Thanks Fred..Does that mean that there were 'coloured' sandbags?

paulr

Certainly some of the sandbags used in Vietnam were green

I suspect they were also in other jungle environments to help them blend in
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Quote from: Heedless Horseman on 12 October 2021, 08:34:45 AM
Thanks Fred..Does that mean that there were 'coloured' sandbags?

I think the intention was to use locally sourced materials - I don't recall reading about central sources - but there were a lot of regimental or divisional level activities going on that probably weren't recorded.

Some of the aim was also just to break up the outlines by not putting sandbags regularly, or by using other materials too.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts