Help! need to fix steel inside really useful boxes.

Started by steve_holmes_11, 17 August 2021, 12:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve_holmes_11

Request for advice.

I have three really useful boxes (a4 page footprint).
Also three A4 sheets of mild steel.

Last summer I fixed the steel into the boxes using silicone sealant (The stickiest substance known to mankind).
What could possibly go wrong?

Opened the "elephant" box today to fins one A4 steel sheet with a load of silicone underneath.
Most definitely NOT stuck to the inside of the really useful box.

This is supposed to be a "storage and transport" solution, so having my heffalumps (some ridden by flimsy parasol beareres) bouncing around in the car boot isn't part of the plan.

Can anybody with practical experience, recomend an adhesive that will stick to a steel sheet and areally useful box.

Thanks.

Orcs

My suggestion would be to invest in some of the MDF trays From Walt at Commission figurines. and then stick the steel to them.  he does a variety of depths but if you are only using one layer ,the base depth is irrelevant.

The "yarkshire gamer" on his blog has used some of the RUB upside down so the figures are based on MDF he has screwed to the lid, as he could not find a way to stick them.

http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.com/

If you click on the 28mm Italian wars section and scroll down you will find the video.

Just lasered do some Foam trays for A4 RUB, postage is  very expensive though

https://justlasered.co.uk/shop/pick-n-pluck/
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

I have some MDF Really Useful Box trays from Warbases (https://warbases.co.uk/product-category/accessories/rub-inserts/) which I've found to be really useful too! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Steve J

Double sided tape would be my first choice. Silicone sealant and the RUB plastic will stick together, but after a while it is very easy for it to peel away as the silicone dries out. Ditto the mild steel.

Norm

I line my 4L really useful box edges with cardboard to keep the light out. I use Copydex glue (bought mine in Rymans) in a small bottle with a brush and just to 'spot' gluing, 2 blobs per side. The latex type glue seems to have held everything in place without issue.

The only qualifier I would make, that may need some research is that in my use, one surface is porous (the card) and obviously the other (the plastic) is not ....... However, I also use copydex to glue figures (metal / plastic) to painting sticks (wood dowel)  and they hold good until ready to prise away. I have noticed that the glue gets harder over a number of days.

Techno II

Don't know if this would work, Steve, but have you tried 'roughing up' the surface of the really useful boxes with glass paper ?...Might give more of a key to 'the glue'

I've got lots of small really useful boxes that I use to pack and send masters to Leon.
The surfaces of those are VERY smooth and shiny, and I wouldn't really expect anything to stick to those surfaces without 'keying' them first.

Cheers - Phil. :)

Big Insect

Gorilla Glue - it sticks anything & everything (including fingers) but once stuck that it is it ... it is well & truly stuck!  ;D ;D ;D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "outside of the box" thinking.

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 17 August 2021, 01:39:24 AM
I have some MDF Really Useful Box trays from Warbases (https://warbases.co.uk/product-category/accessories/rub-inserts/) which I've found to be really useful too! :)

I think Walt has more depth options and is a bit cheaper.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

John Cook

Quote from: Techno II on 17 August 2021, 08:17:20 AM
Don't know if this would work, Steve, but have you tried 'roughing up' the surface of the really useful boxes with glass paper ?...Might give more of a key to 'the glue'

Exactly.  I line my Really Useful trays with a non-slip liner.  I score the inside of the tray and use an impact adhesive, such as Evo stick.  Never had a problem.  You definitely need something for the adhesive to key onto.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Big Insect on 17 August 2021, 08:36:07 AM
Gorilla Glue - it sticks anything & everything (including fingers) but once stuck that it is it ... it is well & truly stuck!  ;D ;D ;D

Inculding Fingers Mark ?  :D
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

steve_holmes_11

Thanks all, I'll make a start with double-sided tape, with a few other solutions up my sleeve in case that fails.

Norm: What's the motivation to keep the light out?

Big Insect

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 17 August 2021, 11:08:09 AM
Inculding Fingers Mark ?  :D

Yup - I had to use a scalpel to separate a couple of fingers that I'd accidently stuck to a figure a while back - not at all pleasant!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "outside of the box" thinking.

fsn

Is it called Gorilla Glue because it is made to stick gorillas, or because it is made from gorillas?  :-\

I mean, wood glue is not made from wood, and you don't use PVA glue to stick ... PVA.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester

I would second Walt at Commission Figurines, I have used quite a few of this mdf liners in my RUB collection!

Raider4

Quote from: fsn on 17 August 2021, 05:40:33 PM
Is it called Gorilla Glue because it is made to stick gorillas, or because it is made from gorillas? I mean, wood glue is not made from wood, and you don't use PVA glue to stick ... PVA.

Well, what do you use duck tape for?