Air support

Started by Rhys, 09 February 2022, 10:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

A couple of suggestions on small decals

Putting a layer of gloss varnish on the area the decal is going is a good idea, as this reduces the silvering effect that can happen under clear areas of decals (the silvering is due to small air bubbles - which the gloss varnish avoids by being very smooth)

I cut the decals out, then put a drop or two of water on the side of my cutting board, and put the decal in this to soak it off the backing. This avoids the decal floating away which can happen if you use a cup of water.

To put the decal on the model, I use a paint brush to generally position it and then the point of a scalpel for finer movement. The key is to avoid curling or flipping of the decal. If this happens its often easier to move it back to the water and have a second go.

Microsol is very useful for softening decals to get them to fit to more complex surfaces - perhaps less needed on aircraft

Once dry another coat of gloss varnish gives protection. Then finally matt varnish to settle everything down.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

pierre the shy

OK thanks for the advice.....I'll shut the door so no naughty words are heard upstairs.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Ithoriel

I use the same technique as fred and agree closed door might be a good idea!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Rhys

I've got another couple of bases finished this week.
First up the Hs129's. I even added the 75mm PAK40 to one of them. No swearing was used during the decaling phase.

I also completed the base for my second stand of P47's.

This finishes my current WW2 air support project unless Pierre the Shy wants to buy anything else and split the packets of 8.
Attack Attack Attack until;
A: They're all dead.
B: We're all dead
Delete where applicable.

pierre the shy

Very nice Rhys.

I'm trying to clear off my table so I can test a new ECW scenario, not be inspired to get out more yet stuff to put on it that I need to finish.

I have managed to get 30 bases of German WW2 armour completed today, so it has been productive O:-)

No I'm not currently tempted to get any more WW2 1/600th air support thanks, got all I need for now.

I'll be attempting some 1/600th decals later in the week.

fred.

They look cool - I particularly like the P47s  8)

Pierre - good work on finishing so many bases of armour - always good to get units finished off, seems too easy to get them 3/4 done then get distracted. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

pierre the shy

In between a few real world dramas I have finished painting up my Hs-129's and Ju-87's which now just await decals, progessed two stands of IL-2's as well, one in summer and one in winter camo schemes.

Also significantly progressed Spearhead based (6mm) Tiger I and Panther battalions today. The latter have been sitting stareing back at me for months so time to move them on to make room for something else.....which will come from the small stack of stuff that turned up from Middlesbrough yesterday afternoon.

Amazing what a bit of motivation can do in reducing ones lead pile  ;)               

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

pierre the shy

Haven't got on to prettying up the Luftwaffe yet but I have finished rehashing two more 6mm WW2 armoured battalions - Panthers and Tigers....about 30 more stands with the supporting stuff after work today. Looked at what else I have to finish off.....do I really have THAT much left to do?!?  :o  ;) 

Also being playing around with Bill's Celtic Fringe rules for the "For King & Parliament" ruleset. More about them later.....   

Still the lead mountain is definitely moving in the right direction.

paulr

Quote.....   

Still the lead mountain is definitely moving in the right direction.

Towards 10mm  ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!