Cannonballs

Started by KeithS, 14 April 2021, 09:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithS

I am just putting together some Napoleonic French artillery and since I have a bit of space on my bases I thought that it would be nice to add some of those piles of cannonballs that you see in pictures, plus maybe the odd one lying around.  AFAIK Pendraken don't do them as scenic extras (Hint!) so does anyone know if any other company does?  If not then I suppose that I could try making my own out of tiny ball bearings, although I suspect that glueng them together might be a gateway to madness, in that case can someone suggest what size ball bearing would be suitable in 10mm scale.
I'll bring up the rest of the brigade.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: KeithS on 14 April 2021, 09:31:46 PM
I am just putting together some Napoleonic French artillery and since I have a bit of space on my bases I thought that it would be nice to add some of those piles of cannonballs that you see in pictures, plus maybe the odd one lying around.  AFAIK Pendraken don't do them as scenic extras (Hint!) so does anyone know if any other company does?  If not then I suppose that I could try making my own out of tiny ball bearings, although I suspect that glueng them together might be a gateway to madness, in that case can someone suggest what size ball bearing would be suitable in 10mm scale.

In 10mm you'll barely notice an individual cannonball.

Those nice little pyramids of balls are a parade ground feature.
My Ego forbids a signature.

DecemDave

Take a look at EC26.

Pendraken do everything.

Except Tardigrades

fred.

Pendraken do have an artillery accessory pack - I think it's in the ECW range.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

KeithS

Quote from: DecemDave on 14 April 2021, 09:59:46 PM
Take a look at EC26.

Pendraken do everything.

Except Tardigrades

How could I ever have doubted.  :D Thanks (and to all who posted replies) EC26 looks just the ticket.  Now I will have to find another pile of things to buy to justify the postage.  ;)
I'll bring up the rest of the brigade.

Ithoriel

SCN-GEN3

*** OUT OF STOCK *** Artillery Markers x 16

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Raider4

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 14 April 2021, 09:40:11 PM
In 10mm you'll barely notice an individual cannonball.

Those nice little pyramids of balls are a parade ground feature.

And a Navy thing (Brass Monkeys).
Field gunners take their ammunition form a limber or a vehicle.

John Cook

Don't bother.  Napoleonic artillery used fixed rounds comprising the ball, shell or cannister fixed to a wooden sabot and a bagged charge which may have been fixed or separate. 

Terry37

I use buckshot in different sizes from my shotgun shells.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Yes the projectile pryamids would be naval or fortification. Still useful for markers of course.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

Indeed, our non-historically minded Warlord sculptor gave the epic artillery a tiny pyramid of cannon balls right behind the artilleryman's foot. Thus, as well as the only gun so far being an 1840s howitzer, the piece has individual cannonballs, which were not used unbagged in the ACW, positioned where the gunner can trip over them. Oh how we laughed!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!