Anyone puts casualties with "living" minis?

Started by The_Wrong_Khovanskiy, 04 April 2021, 11:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

Quote from: Leman on 04 April 2021, 02:46:47 PM
So again we have arrived at a non-conclusion of I like this/I don't like this. One more reason for my joyously embracing solo gaming.

that tends to happen. I was just curious whether people do it or not, and I'm happy with getting feedback.

Ithoriel

I don't do this for units but several of my command bases have casualties, of the faction used by my most frequent opponent, on them.

Dead Russian on the FAO base for example

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

fsn

Great thing about this hobby is "each one to their own".

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sultanbev

Various 15mm and 28mm manufacturers have historically incorporated casaulties on their bases, often for display purposes and to look good in glossy magazines, usually men in the moment of being shot. Remember the old Airfix figures with such poses.

I use casualty markers for Napoleonic-colonial to represent disordered units, but I don't have casualties on the actual unit bases themselves, as they wouldn't fit on. The casualty markers are individually based on coins or card rectangles - when the unit rallies from disorder the casualty marker is removed.

I have toyed with the idea of leaving a casualty marker in place for each figure casualty the unit suffers, at the place of suffering, so you would end up with a battlefield strewn with random corpses, but I've never tried it.

fred.

Quote from: Matt J on 04 April 2021, 04:51:44 PM

Yep, that is how its done  8)

Quote from: sultanbev on 04 April 2021, 05:45:13 PM
I have toyed with the idea of leaving a casualty marker in place for each figure casualty the unit suffers, at the place of suffering, so you would end up with a battlefield strewn with random corpses, but I've never tried it.

I  too have thought about doing this, but haven't got round to painting up enough casualty figures
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

petercooman

paulr

I haven't incorporated casualties in units, but some of my units do drag trees, hedges, fences and corn fields around with them ;)

I have created some based to mark where units have be destroyed

Three mounted casualty markers

Four foot casualty markers

These were inspired by Mollinary's ECW Destroyed Units http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15666.0.html
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

Quote from: Matt J on 04 April 2021, 04:51:44 PM
Like this -

beautiful stuff, incredibly dynamic.

Quote from: paulr on 04 April 2021, 09:22:00 PM
I haven't incorporated casualties in units, but some of my units do drag trees, hedges, fences and corn fields around with them ;)

I have created some based to mark where units have be destroyed

Three mounted casualty markers

Four foot casualty markers

These were inspired by Mollinary's ECW Destroyed Units http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15666.0.html

very awesome, I love the idea!

Quote from: petercooman on 04 April 2021, 08:00:07 PM
yes i have done this with my ACW minis

very nice, great army overall too!

Quote from: sultanbev on 04 April 2021, 05:45:13 PM
Various 15mm and 28mm manufacturers have historically incorporated casaulties on their bases, often for display purposes and to look good in glossy magazines, usually men in the moment of being shot. Remember the old Airfix figures with such poses.

I use casualty markers for Napoleonic-colonial to represent disordered units, but I don't have casualties on the actual unit bases themselves, as they wouldn't fit on. The casualty markers are individually based on coins or card rectangles - when the unit rallies from disorder the casualty marker is removed.

I like the idea of leaving strewn corpses where units take casualties, but that might require a lot of casualty models. But it sounds quite fun.

The_Wrong_Khovanskiy

Quote from: Ithoriel on 04 April 2021, 03:25:51 PM
I don't do this for units but several of my command bases have casualties, of the faction used by my most frequent opponent, on them.

Dead Russian on the FAO base for example

makes for interesting vignettes, I think. Great job on the minis!

ronan

Hello !
I always do (almost always  ;) )
For example for the rules Tercios :