Fixing models to lolly sticks

Started by Jonny, 14 January 2021, 11:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwydion

Another vote for Copydex.
Yes it does take a while to cure, but once set it holds the figures firmly until you want to remove them. You can do that without breaking or bending them and the glue rubs off easily into satisfyingly squidgy pellets.

mollinary

Quote from: Gwydion on 15 January 2021, 11:53:07 AM
Another vote for Copydex.
Yes it does take a while to cure, but once set it holds the figures firmly until you want to remove them. You can do that without breaking or bending them and the glue rubs off easily into satisfyingly squidgy pellets.

And it's vile smell is one of my nastiest memories from primary school. Revolting stuff!  :-&  :-&
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Gwydion

Preferable to that of most of the pupils from what I remember. :)

Ithoriel

"I love the smell of Copydex in the morning!"

Each to their own.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

I really don't like the smell but fortunately my sinuses are so blocked I can never really pick it up :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fred.

I only have poor memories of copydex from arts and crafts projects from decades ago, I can't see why anyone would choose it for temporarily basing figures.

As said above I use double sided sticky tape for this - its quick, clean, doesn't smell, and needs no drying time. I've never had problems with figures dropping of the painting sticks, even after a few years.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

I also use double side tape

Fred's highlighted all the advantages although mine don't hang around on the sticks for years ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

I don't plan for them to sit on painting sticks for years. But do keep finding them, carefully stashed away  :-[
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Terry37

I use water based Elmer's. Easily comes off of metal, but holds tight for painting. And, it's chap.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Jonny

Quote from: Terry37 on 15 January 2021, 09:14:41 PM
I use water based Elmer's. Easily comes off of metal, but holds tight for painting. And, it's chap.

Terry

I think Elmers is what we call PVA in the UK? Is copydex more or less stinky PVA, or does it have different properties? I was thinking I might try mod podge, which just seems like it's fancy (expensive) PVA, but I'm going to be buying a pot of mod podge for other hobby/craft anyway so might give it a go!

toxicpixie

Elmer's is a brand name for PVA.

I use copydex now as all my pva is hard core builders strength stuff and I find it a bit awkwardly strong when I come to remove figures off sticks ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Gwydion

Copydex is definitely NOT pva.
It is a latex rubber cement in water solution, not to be confused with most (all?) other rubber solution glues which use harmful solvents - e.g. toluene or acetone.

It is used as a masking solution by watercolour artists and can be 'rolled' off the paper without damaging the ground. On he other hand it is firm enough to be used as a carpet glue. It all depends what direction the pressure is applied from how robust it is.

So in most figure painting circumstances it grips firmly enough for your needs but the figure can easily be separated from the stick/base without damage (or swearing, sharp objects, sliced thumbs etc).

Re Fred's comment - I can't see why anyone would use anything else. :)

Jonny

Quote from: Gwydion on 16 January 2021, 02:21:28 PM
Copydex is definitely NOT pva.
It is a latex rubber cement in water solution, not to be confused with most (all?) other rubber solution glues which use harmful solvents - e.g. toluene or acetone.

It is used as a masking solution by watercolour artists and can be 'rolled' off the paper without damaging the ground. On he other hand it is firm enough to be used as a carpet glue. It all depends what direction the pressure is applied from how robust it is.

So in most figure painting circumstances it grips firmly enough for your needs but the figure can easily be separated from the stick/base without damage (or swearing, sharp objects, sliced thumbs etc).

Re Fred's comment - I can't see why anyone would use anything else. :)

Thanks for the explanation :) I think I'll give copydex a go and see how I get on!