Waterloo Chess Set Ideas

Started by mmcv, 24 August 2020, 02:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

I haven't got much time to paint last couple of weeks. That's always dangerous as it just gives me time to think about what other projects I could be doing or expansions to current ones...  X_X

At the weekend my dad gave me an old book of his, "Great Battles of the Last Two Centuries" (or something to that effect), and while flicking through he mentioned he'd always wanted a Waterloo Chess Set. The main thing stopping him was my mum not being particularly keen on him displaying it anywhere, plus having a look online the prices can be somewhat eye-watering.

I'm thinking it might be quite a fun DIY project to do at some point and gift to him when it's complete. And if it's a gift, carefully handcrafted by her own son, mum can hardly complain about it being displayed anywhere...  :d

I've actually long wanted to make a chess set, going back many years before I got into wargaming. I was also planning to get into Napoleonic history a bit more next year a bit more with a look to maybe dipping my toes in the period. So this might be a good way to get into the history without being daunted by a massive project, and also a way to try and improve my painting on larger scale models.

So I'm putting this out there as a fishing expedition for some ideas and thoughts from you wise, wonderful, and weird people.

1) What scale of models should I go for? I'm thinking 54mm might be a good size for chess pieces and lots of details.
2) Any recommended manufacturers? I see irregular do a nice range of 54mm, all individuals as well, so that's likely a good starting point.
3) What should represent different pieces?
  a) Pawns - I think this should be line infantry, possibly kneeling to make them seem a bit smaller though standing would be fine too.
  b) Kings - Napoleon and Wellington are pretty obvious choices here.
  c) Queens - I'm not sure if I should do a prim and proper 19th Century lady here, or one of the leading generals or allies to keep a more militaristic theme. Any thoughts/suggestions?
  d) Knights - some form of rearing cavalry would be ideal I reckon
  e) Bishops - could find some sort of religious model, but thinking maybe a Standard Bearer would be a good option here to get some pretty flags on the board (and the flag pole is kind of like the pointy hat).
  f) Rook - artillery of some form might work well, though fitting it on a base the same size as the troops could be difficult. Possibly angled high. Drummer is another option, though leaning more torwards heavy ordanance.
4) The board - have a few options here. Could just purchase a reasonably nice one, though they are pricy. Alternatively could see about getting access to some power tools and make my own with a mix of woods. Or another thought I had was to make a nice digital print or even hand-painted piece of the battlefield itself, with somewhat transparent squares mapped out on it, then possibly embed that in a wooden frame with a glass covering. Or even a few thick layers of gloss varnish if glass would be too prone to smudgy fingerprints.
5) The bases - likely want a good thick plinth base, maybe 1-2 cms tall. Probably some sort of felt or soft material on the base to protect the board and reduce too much "clacking".

Anything I've forgotten? Or any good ideas anyone can suggest?

jimduncanuk

Remember that all of one set of pieces will be French and that the other set will mostly be German speaking and a few English/Irish/Scots.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

I made a chess set with my dad. We made the board ourselves.

What about mixing scales? Use 28mm for pawns? You could  make each pawn a separate unit - 95th Rifles, Hanoverian Landwehr, etc.

Artillery is the queen of the Battlefield, so I would suggest horse artillery as the queen; the rook is a castle, so perhaps a sapper or a gambion to suggest siegecraft.  Like the idea of a standard bearer for the bishop.   

For the bases I would suggest that these be coloured for each side to make them visually different.

Please post photos of a work in progress.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

I would take a look at the Prince August Chess sets. They are in 54mm and can be bought in both painted and Antique Pewter finish. You can also buy the molds if you fancied casting them yourself.

They also do nice chessboards thet will take the pieces underneath.

I have had a look but cannot seem to find any prices, so you may need to contact them.

https://shop.princeaugust.ie/antique-finished-pewter-chess-sets/
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

mmcv

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 24 August 2020, 02:56:54 PM
Remember that all of one set of pieces will be French and that the other set will mostly be German speaking and a few English/Irish/Scots.

Quote from: ianrs54 on 24 August 2020, 03:20:23 PM
Not to mention Dutch/Belgiums

I'll probably keep it mostly French and British for simplicity's sake to keep it reasonably clear on a chessboard. But if it proves successful could be fun to do a Prussian set of figures too. And a mixed force with Dutch, etc. And then of course have to sort out some sort of storage and display case for it all....

Quote from: fsn on 24 August 2020, 03:58:14 PM
I made a chess set with my dad. We made the board ourselves.

How did you do the board? I've seen some do it with two different woods, while others just opt for painting or etching.

What about mixing scales? Use 28mm for pawns? You could  make each pawn a separate unit - 95th Rifles, Hanoverian Landwehr, etc.

I did see some examples of mixed scales when I was googling about to see what others had done. I'm not quite sure if it'll look right though. It's one of those ones I probably just need to get some models and try out to see how it'll look. On the separate units, I'm just not sure if that'll make it a bit too "confusing" on a chess board. If you're playing someone who isn't necessarily aware of the difference in uniforms, having pawns all looking quite different might get in the way of the game. When I end up doing a Napoleonics wargaming project (it's ineveitable...) I'll be able to satisfy all those different uniforms and units, but on a chess board I think it's nice to have a balance between visual appeal and easy piece recognition.

Artillery is the queen of the Battlefield, so I would suggest horse artillery as the queen; the rook is a castle, so perhaps a sapper or a gambion to suggest siegecraft.  Like the idea of a standard bearer for the bishop.   

That's quite an interesting idea. Thanks.

For the bases I would suggest that these be coloured for each side to make them visually different.

Yeah I was thinking of just doing a soft dark green on the bases, if the uniforms are all...well...uniform enough to tell them apart. But a band of blue or red around the bases might be sensible too.

Please post photos of a work in progress.

I will of course, though in truth it'll likely be a while before I get started on it. Just gathering thoughts and ideas for the moment, then will maybe get a few sample figures in the next month or two to try out.

Quote from: Orcs on 24 August 2020, 04:04:40 PM
I would take a look at the Prince August Chess sets. They are in 54mm and can be bought in both painted and Antique Pewter finish. You can also buy the molds if you fancied casting them yourself.

They also do nice chessboards thet will take the pieces underneath.

I have had a look but cannot seem to find any prices, so you may need to contact them.

https://shop.princeaugust.ie/antique-finished-pewter-chess-sets/

Nice find, I'd not come across those before. Odd that they've no way of seeing pricing for the sets (yet there is for the boards). I'll maybe drop them a line sometime. Thanks.

kipt

24 August 2020, 05:07:25 PM #6 Last Edit: 25 August 2020, 03:54:03 PM by Leon
I made one for my father many years ago and I now have it.  54MM Kings and Queens, 40mm (?) bishops, knights and rooks and 25mm pawns.  I sent 3 photos to Leon and asking him to post for me.  Hopefully they came through.

hammurabi70

You can google and find plenty of ideas online. No doubt you will have some of your own.

Knights normally have some cavalry piece but I have seen rooks as Martello towers, artillery and even ships. The queen gives a chance for less usual battlefield figures such as lady in ball gown or other period piece. Generals seem popular as bishops with the C in C, of course, being the appropriate 'big man'. Flags seem to get used as anything from King to atop a castle as a rook. Remember that figures do not have be identical twins so each one can be customised to a small degree; even pawns can be individual characters.

But why Waterloo?  What about Hastings? At least you have clerics for bishops! Not sure how you would do Trafalgar or the Battle of Britain. Duke of Parma against Queen Elizabeth? English Civil War? This could get addictive!

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

sultanbev

You could even use 10mm figures, but have several per piece, mounted on a base tall enough to be picked up easily. Perhaps an upturned Colour Party Paint jar or similar. You could then go town painting motifs or flags or whatever on the holding base.
Then you could make it more of a wargame by allowing each side to move 1D6 pieces a turn.....  8)

Mark

mmcv

Quote from: kipt on 24 August 2020, 05:07:25 PM
I made one for my father many years ago and I now have it.  54MM Kings and Queens, 40mm (?) bishops, knights and rooks and 25mm pawns.  I sent 3 photos to Leon and asking him to post for me.  Hopefully they came through.

I just posted a guide to uploading pics if you fancy a try yourself. http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,20026.msg308422/topicseen.html#msg308422. If not I await Leons post with anticipation. The three scales might work well as it's less of a dramatic step down in size.

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 24 August 2020, 05:41:40 PM
But why Waterloo?  What about Hastings? At least you have clerics for bishops! Not sure how you would do Trafalgar or the Battle of Britain. Duke of Parma against Queen Elizabeth? English Civil War? This could get addictive!

There's certainly endless possibilities. I've a set of 28mm Romans and Gauls languishing in their starter box I'd a half notion to do something similar with at one point.

Quote from: sultanbev on 24 August 2020, 09:51:43 PM
You could even use 10mm figures, but have several per piece, mounted on a base tall enough to be picked up easily. Perhaps an upturned Colour Party Paint jar or similar. You could then go town painting motifs or flags or whatever on the holding base.
Then you could make it more of a wargame by allowing each side to move 1D6 pieces a turn.....  8)

Mark

;D

Westmarcher

If not using kneeling figs for Pawns, dropping down a scale to 40mm for them sounds like a good idea to me (e.g., Sash & Sabre?).

Bishops: A Bishop's pointy hat is called a mitre and 18th Century Grenadiers often wore mitre caps. But these tended to be replaced by other headgear by the time of the Napoleonic Wars ...... e.g., bearskin caps. So how about Old Guard Grenadier figures for French Bishops and Highlanders with feather bonnet for the Allies? 

Queens: As for your standard bearer figures idea you could then consider that for your Queens? Or if you can find a 54mm equivalent, how about the magnificent 'French Sapper, advancing shouldered axe in bearskin cap' in Perry's 40mm Peninsular range - one "L'Enforceur" figure might make a good Queen piece! Same goes for the Brits but if you can't find an equivalent sapper figure, perhaps a Sharpe figure for the Brits?

Artillery pieces somehow seem right for Rooks but as these may take up too much space, drummers sound good to me, the shape of the drum evoking memories of the round shape of a conventional Castle chess piece.

Looking forward to seeing what you finally decide. Good luck!  :)

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mmcv

Quote from: Westmarcher on 24 August 2020, 11:39:47 PM
If not using kneeling figs for Pawns, dropping down a scale to 40mm for them sounds like a good idea to me (e.g., Sash & Sabre?).

Bishops: A Bishop's pointy hat is called a mitre and 18th Century Grenadiers often wore mitre caps. But these tended to be replaced by other headgear by the time of the Napoleonic Wars ...... e.g., bearskin caps. So how about Old Guard Grenadier figures for French Bishops and Highlanders with feather bonnet for the Allies? 

Queens: As for your standard bearer figures idea you could then consider that for your Queens? Or if you can find a 54mm equivalent, how about the magnificent 'French Sapper, advancing shouldered axe in bearskin cap' in Perry's 40mm Peninsular range - one "L'Enforceur" figure might make a good Queen piece! Same goes for the Brits but if you can't find an equivalent sapper figure, perhaps a Sharpe figure for the Brits?

Artillery pieces somehow seem right for Rooks but as these may take up too much space, drummers sound good to me, the shape of the drum evoking memories of the round shape of a conventional Castle chess piece.

Looking forward to seeing what you finally decide. Good luck!  :)

Some really interesting ideas here. The use of Old Guard and Highlanders is very very tempting given how iconic they are. Standard bearer as Queen is then a viable option, the Queen being the most powerful and mobile unit the standard bearer can be seen as the manifestation of the General/King's will on the battlefield where it's most needed. That figure of the sapper is fantastic, very imposing. Could also work as a rook as suggested previously if artillery pieces don't work out. Thanks!

kipt

Heard from Leon and he will post for me.

kipt

25 August 2020, 03:54:03 PM #14 Last Edit: 25 August 2020, 03:54:38 PM by Leon
And this is just in case he can't use my first post.

EDIT: Pics added!