Steve J

They look very nice Will 8).

fred.

An impressive cavalry horde - very colourful
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

DecemDave

Big Insect

I particularly like the colours and pattering on the rectangular long cavalry shields - it is very evocative of that area of Africa.
Nice to see a different army in-play - no matter how effective it is on the table top  ;)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "outside of the box" thinking.

paulr

And particularly one with such a strong family connection :-bd
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Big Insect

Quote from: paulr on 21 September 2021, 08:23:59 PM
And particularly one with such a strong family connection :-bd

Yes ... family connections can add an extra dimension to your gaming  :D

I have a relative that won a Victoria Cross - defending his guns against Russian Cavalry - in the Crimea. His water colour paintings of the war are in the London Woolwich Artillery museum. So my 15mm Crimean British has him with a ramrod in one hand and a sabre in the other on an artillery base  :)

I am also related to Captain Gronow - he of the famous Napoleonic memoires - who fought, as a very young Captain, in the 1st Foot Guards at Waterloo. I have a suitable 20mm foot guard officer for my British Napoleonic army.

It would be interesting to hear of other family connections in our armies  8)
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "outside of the box" thinking.

pierre the shy

22 September 2021, 10:40:49 AM #66 Last Edit: 22 September 2021, 10:45:01 AM by pierre the shy
Quote from: Big Insect on 22 September 2021, 09:18:08 AM
Yes ... family connections can add an extra dimension to your gaming  :D

I have a relative that won a Victoria Cross - defending his guns against Russian Cavalry - in the Crimea. His water colour paintings of the war are in the London Woolwich Artillery museum. So my 15mm Crimean British has him with a ramrod in one hand and a sabre in the other on an artillery base  :)

I am also related to Captain Gronow - he of the famous Napoleonic memoires - who fought, as a very young Captain, in the 1st Foot Guards at Waterloo. I have a suitable 20mm foot guard officer for my British Napoleonic army.

It would be interesting to hear of other family connections in our armies  8)

Indeed, family connections can be I think, an important criteria for why one takes up gaming.

In my case I don't have any famous military figures in the family tree. My grandfather was in the RA from 1916 to 1951, retired as a Brigadier after being part of the official British delegation to the 1949 Geneva Convention. He was involved with that as he was captured along with most of the 51st Highland Division at St Valery en Caux in 1940 by Rommel's 7th Panzer Division and was only released in May 1945, so he had a lot of first hand experience about treatment of POW's. I do have a lot of 6mm Spearhead 1940 stuff that's about 20 years old and probably needs some good TLC.  

Don't think I got my wargaming interest from my Mum's side....her families main "interesting fact" was that her grandmother was J.M. Barrie's cousin and she lived in/near Kirriemuir for most of her life.

To keep the thread on track I must say that I really like your Huasa cavalry stands Will, with the shields and replacement spears they look excellent  :-bd 

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Big Insect

Quote from: pierre the shy on 22 September 2021, 10:40:49 AM

To keep the thread on track I must say that I really like your Huasa cavalry stands Will, with the shields and replacement spears they look excellent  :-bd 

Indeed ... maybe I should start up a separate thread on the subject  ;D ;D ;D :D

Ithoriel

Quote from: pierre the shy on 22 September 2021, 10:40:49 AM

On track? Are you new here? :) :) :)

However, I agree, great paint jobs, Will.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

My 1944 British represent a company of 2nd Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment in early June, my father's unit.

This led to a classic quote when my son was commanding them, "be careful with that infantry or you'll get your grandfather killed".
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

After nearly two weeks of self-isolation I am back at work, after having only the radio and my paints for company, thought I had better show what I was up to all those days..

It had been nagging me that I had decided to use Tuareg for the London GT, but it had not arried in time,  ordered some from Timecast. Unfortunately, the order of two packs got split between 'in stock' and 'shipped from the US', absolutely no fault of Timecast's, and I borrowed some of Roger's. The figures arrived shortly after and were amazing, but they got into the lead mountain last year on hold while I was painting everyone else's armies. So, with isolation, this wa the perfect time to do somthing for myself to finish off (that word - finish - again) this iteration of the project.

These are Ansar cavalry from the Colonial Sudan Wars range, that again I converted by grinding down their lower half of their faces and then adding appropriate coverings. They have a more 'uniform' appearence than the Tuareg camelry, as these are the elite of the nobility, and the flag just had to be added!

Top view to show the range of headdresses and colours on their clothing.

Suspect these might even see action against the Foreign Legion one day!

My normal view

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner