Additional charge for orders less than £20 at Irregular

Started by Orcs, 30 April 2019, 12:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

I find irregular good at filling in the gaps and adding a bit of variety. The 10mm range, while nowhere near as detailed as pendraken, still have a bit of character to them. Makes then useful where there's maybe a limited range available from our dear hosts or to add a bit of variety, especially since you can buy models individually.

I got some bits as samples from their 6mm range recently and agree they weren't as clean and detailed as samples I got from Baccus in the past, though Baccus is relatively expensive to get samples from. Their 2mm range is interesting though, even if it is fairly abstract at that scale.

£20 doesn't seem an unreasonable min amount to make the order worthwhile.for them, though if you literally only wanted a couple of pieces the £2 additional charge could be irritating. But I'd say few make an order that small... Compared to most others who'll make similar pricing on P&P it's not too beyond the pale.

Orcs

Quote from: Westmarcher on 30 April 2019, 02:10:04 PM
Isn't that what I said? (only difference is I said "additional" and you said "extra" - means the same).

Agree. Orcs has misunderstood.

I was not commenting on the extra cost.  Irregular have been more expensive than Pendraken for some time.

On small orders you are paying the postage price in the figure cost plus an additional £2. Something that Pendraken does not do.  An order of 90 10mm foot you are effectively paying postage of £3.80 or nearly 20%. Even so they are still  far better than some companies that have a £5 or even £7.50 minimum postage

On any order over £20 you have paid 10% P &P  (Twice what you pay with Pendraken. hence my pampered comment).

I was more interested in the marketing strategy as they are building in the postage cost with the figure price, by increasing the figure cost by 10%, thus making their figures look more expensive than they are, or do they think that being making the figures look "post free" over £20 they will make them look better value.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Fenton

I wonder  if it's something to do with the ability to order online now from Irregular and it's to cover admin charges from that
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Big Insect

It is probably worth dropping Irregular a line and asking them how it works .... just a thought???  :D

(but I know that would spoil the fun of the forum ... sorry about that ... I'll get me coat!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "outside of the box" thinking.

Orcs

Quote from: Big Insect on 30 April 2019, 05:12:33 PM
It is probably worth dropping Irregular a line and asking them how it works .... just a thought???  :D

(but I know that would spoil the fun of the forum ... sorry about that ... I'll get me coat!

If you want to question a Yorkshireman about money then Good Luck  :)

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Leon

I'd imagine it's to try and encourage people to order a bit more?  We put the maximum postage charges in place to try and do the same thing, so folks who order over £100 aren't paying any additional shipping costs from that point onwards.

Quote from: fsn on 30 April 2019, 03:55:42 PM
Sorry. What's "an order less than £20"?  :-

:D

Quote from: Fenton on 30 April 2019, 04:44:30 PM
I wonder  if it's something to do with the ability to order online now from Irregular and it's to cover admin charges from that

Possibly, depending on how their site works.  Some of the 'off the shelf' e-commerce sites can charge a hefty fee on every transaction, upto 3% in some cases.  PayPal also charge for their service, starting at 3.4% + 20p for small turnovers and reducing as you put more business through them.  We're currently on 2.4% + 20p per transaction which is generally fine.  It only stings a bit on small orders or custom stuff where you're losing the 20p every time.

It's one of the reasons we don't sell individual bags of MDF bases on eBay, there's just no point.  You sell a pack for £1.25 but then eBay take 19p, PayPal take 23p, and you've lost 34% of your sale already.  So you end up only listing high value products, high profit items, or things that don't require a labour cost like the I-94 decals.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Orcs

One where you have forgotten something and have to send an email to Leon saying "please can you just add this"  followed by another one an hour later saying "and this" ;D

Not that I would ever do that  :^o

Westmarcher

Quote from: Orcs on 30 April 2019, 04:15:46 PM
I was not commenting on the extra cost.  Irregular have been more expensive than Pendraken for some time ...... etc.

OK, See where you are coming from now, Orcs. Hands up. I've misunderstood. Apologies.  :-[

As some have said, it could've been indeed worded better (I didn't spot the extra 2p added on to the 20p cost of the Irregular's foot and thought it was included in the 20p).  At a guess, am I right in thinking that Pendraken is now not only better quality wise than Irregular (IMO) but also price wise across the board?   <:-P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

steve_holmes_11

Dr Dave

Quote from: Nick the Lemming on 30 April 2019, 03:05:54 PM
And equally importantly, compare the quality. I'd rather have 20 quid's worth of Pendraken than 50 of Irregular.

Yes. Pendraken figures suitable for what you want... or what could just pass as Anglo-Saxon asiatic footballers!

FierceKitty

...ummm...I think I saw one in a museum once, but you needed special permission to view it.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

steve_holmes_11

On reflection, this sort of thinng isn't unusual, it's just that Irregular appear to be stating it in a non-standard way.

The typical approach is "P&P is 10% of order or a minimum of £2.20".

It's  fact that there's a minimum cost of delivery, even if the order's a single 2mm figure, so weems fairly justifiable.
Maths nerds will observe that Irregular's approach hits hardest when the order's up at the £19 range, while the traditional approach hits tiny orders hardest.

I've grown used to the £20 hurdle when shopping on (non Prime) Amazon.
I'll often add on some stationery, aquarium accessories or paperbacks to avoid the £4.50 postage charge.

Terry37

All I can say is that Leon and company have only been super fair to me, so I am happy to pay what they need to stay in business. Wither it be large or small orders - but I suspect to those of you who are dedicated 10 MM gamers, all of my orders would be small since I am really a 15 MM gamer. That said though, too many things Leon offers still fit mighty nicely in my projects!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Norm

Increasingly, in the tough retail sector, it is becoming more important to target your spend on those places that are important to you and that you want to ensure a future trading relationship with. This is true of everything , whether it be a fave coffee shop, camera shop, local corner store, high street book shop or a figure supplier. This was virtually my sole driving force for buying / supporting BKCIV (which hopefully will arrive today :-), I have had my shipping notice).

Irregular, like most of our industry are good hard working people and like most in the industry are not driving around in the latest swankiest cars or hoarding their money in off-shore accounts. It is a tough tough climate for them and I am confident that for the most part, we are getting a good deal from traders in general and the wargaming world would be a poorer place without them ..... especially in our smaller scales, which is a much more fragile sector of the market than 28's.

Many (many!) moons ago, as a teenager, I was buying from Irregular, heroics and Ros and Skytrex at pocket money level, with Postal Orders (remember them) and was getting spanked on postal charges, relative to the small orders that fall out of pocket money purchases (and postal order commission and the cost of  the stamp!), so it has always been a factor in low cost purchasing. (remember self stamp addressed envelopes to get a company catalogue?  :-)  ).

fsn

Quote from: Terry37 on 02 May 2019, 04:24:19 AM
All I can say is that Leon and company have only been super fair to me, so I am happy to pay what they need to stay in business.
Careful ...

Quote from: Terry37 on 02 May 2019, 04:24:19 AM
... all of my orders would be small since I am really a 15 MM gamer.
15mm is dead. It just doesn't know it yet.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!