Is varnishing worthwhile?

Started by mmcv, 12 January 2019, 06:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Waterhouse

Brush is better. I use Windsor and Newton acrylic varnish
Arma Pacis Fulcra

mmcv

Brush on is also easier to get online! Most spray on ones won't deliver to me, so would need to find a physical shop, which is a lot less convenient. Also like the finish I've gotten from brush on better.

Fenton

I use W&N spray Matt varnish which I get from Bradbury Graphics
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

mmcv

Quote from: Fenton on 13 January 2019, 12:10:21 PM
I use W&N spray Matt varnish which I get from Bradbury Graphics

I'll take a look next time I'm in the area, cheers.

Leman

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 January 2019, 11:33:59 AM
Yup, the only reason not to add a coat of varnish is when it needs two :)

Spray varnish all the way. Fast, easy and reliable. Life's too short for brush on.
Clearly a man who has never had 6 weeks worth of painting turn to s**t courtesy off a spray can. 5 minutes to spray, including shaking the can, 20 minutes to use a brush - 15 minutes saving weeks of heartache.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Aksu

Hullo,
Always varnish. I paint with Vallejo acrylics. Then brush on the Winsor & Newton Matt Varnish mentioned earlier, and which I have raved about in our blog http://www.the-ancients.com/gemigabok/excellent-matt-varnish/.
I do sometimes use Vallejo Satin varnish for vehicles, horses, helmets, flags and all sorts of not-quite-shiny things.
Cheers,
Aksu

Ithoriel

Quote from: Leman on 13 January 2019, 04:23:31 PM
Clearly a man who has never had 6 weeks worth of painting turn to s**t courtesy off a spray can. 5 minutes to spray, including shaking the can, 20 minutes to use a brush - 15 minutes saving weeks of heartache.

Six weeks of painting would be less than a dozen figures :)

Never had an unfixable problem with spraying. Couple of incidents where the varnish was cloudy were fixed with a second coat and one of them was initially brushed and fixed with a hasty spray coat.

I can spray in a couple of minutes (50% of which is shaking the can) stuff that would take 30 or 40 minutes of frustrating hand varnishing.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Terry37

Yep! Steve J said it all in my opinion, I actually do coats of spray clear - a semi-gloss/gloss (depending if decals are to be applied) and then a nice heavy matte finish coat.

Spent too much time painting them not to protect them!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

mmcv

Some great advice here, thanks! I'll brush on my varnish to the ones on the painting sticks at the moment, then attempt to do the same on the units already based. Want to do a PVA soaking in their basing first to hold it in place or I just know I'll end up with a bunch of grass varnished to someone's posterior!

Noktu

Do you guys varnish after the grass flock has been applied? To this day I've always applied varnish before adding grass.

Westmarcher

I brush the varnish on - that way I can be sure the whole figure is covered and there is no 'pooling' in crevices, etc. I'm currently using Kevin Dallimore's technique, using gloss enamel varnish for the first coat and matt acrylic for the second. Although this seems to protect the figure better, I'm not always happy with the results because sometimes, some sheen from the gloss undercoat shows through in certain parts. Perhaps the brushing is not effective as I think it is but the process is not weather dependent and I don't feel it takes long (this is probably helped by the fact that I only paint figures in small batches). I'm using a Humbrol acrylic varnish so must try the Winsor & Newton to see if this will be better.

I mount the figure(s) on Pendraken painting sticks for painting and always varnish them before basing. Applying flock or static grass is the very last stage in the whole procedure.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Matt J

Never use varnish as that would imply its a finished model!

I hear too many horror stories about varnishing going wrong. I spend far too long painting my models to see them buggered up, would rather touch up where required.

Matt
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Womble67

I always varnish and use either matt or gloss humbrol varnish which i brush on as I feel you get better coverage

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Leman on 13 January 2019, 04:23:31 PM

I feel your pain Bru. Been there, done that, binned aerosols (in an ecological way)
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Orcs

Quote from: Westmarcher on 14 January 2019, 09:32:45 AM
I'm using a Humbrol acrylic varnish so must try the Winsor & Newton to see if this will be better.

I mount the figure(s) on Pendraken painting sticks for painting and always varnish them before basing. Applying flock or static grass is the very last stage in the whole procedure.

I have had several comments about how "matt" my figures are using the Winsor and Newton Galleria Matt acrylic varnish.  I did find that sometimes when painting over gloss varnished figures you needed two coats, but I think that was due to my not making sure of full coverage with the matt varnish.

The Winsor and newton stuff is available from "The Works" see link below, or from Amazon and other art shops.  I always get my kids to buy a bottle for me at Christmas 

https://www.theworks.co.uk/p/artist-supplies/winsor-and-newton-galeria-matt-varnish/094376968736?CAWELAID=720011340002626067&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4cHd7JPu3wIVSsKyCh2ABgKmEAQYASABEgJRTPD_BwE
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson