Eowyn Favorite LotR Character

Started by Terry37, 17 November 2018, 07:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry37

Hmmm, seems my inquiry from my freinds has brought much discussion and more has come my way since I postd about the Sneaker possibility. Seems that he Sneaker role doe snot really fit Eowyn for several reasons.

1. Sneakers are not mounted, and she was riding as a knight.

2. Sneakers cannot kill aerials, and the Witch King would be an aerial in most cases of that scenario.

3. I see a Sneaker as one who sets out to destroy an enemy leader, and Eowyn did not do that. She simply we to save her father,

So, I think I am back to the Hero as her element.

Lemmy, I like your idea if I were to go another route than as a Hero of using Theoden as a fallen General. I do have an element like that planned for use in DBN where there is a rule about generals in combat.

I had to chuckle at merry and Pippin as a Behemoth, but they might very well be, at least Merry.......     But except for my fellowship army I do not have them as part of my Rohan army, which is what the new elements are for.  had I made Eowyn as a mounted element I would have had Merry riding with her. Although I probably should put Merry in somehow.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Duke Speedy of Leighton

He stabs the Witchking on foot, maybe he's the sneaker? ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

If I were doing a HotT Rohan army I'd have

Theoden as a Knight General
Eomer and Eowyn as Heroes.
A core of Knights
Perhaps a couple of Riders

Optionally

Gandalf as a God - very powerful, constantly having to leave to deal with some other problem!
Merry as Sneaker
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Bugger it, Terry - run her as what you think! There's nothing to stop Paladin's being sneaky. Look at Batman :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Terry37

OK, here's where I'm at. Everything is back as originally planned. Paul's recommendation as a Sneaker only made sense from the stand point that she killed Angmar. But further discussion and thinking on my part realized there is one critical difference between a Sneaker and any other troop type - and that is, a Sneaker's sole mission is to take out an enemy commander - so think of Sam and Frodo. In combat with other troop types, even if the Sneaker wins the losing enemy is unaffected, except for save a Hero or maybe a A Magician - don't have my rules handy. But that's not important. In Ewoyn's case her sole mission was as a warrior to fight any enemy, and she just happens to be confronted by Angmar when he was attacking her father. Further, if you take the position presented by Paul, then anyone who kills a general must be a Sneaker, which is not the case.

I would not make Merry a Sneaker for the same reason, he was a warrior and again just happened to be in the right place at the right time to stick Agmar. But I'm not sure how to play him as I'd really like to add him to my Rohan army, using one of Pendraken's 10 MM Dark Age figures for him.

Re Gandalf, although he is a very powerful wizard, I see him as more of a Magician than a god. I do see Sauron as a god, but of course a very evil one.

My army is basically set up to play two ways - the army at Helms Deep with Knights, Eomer as a  Hero, Theoden as a Knight General, an element of dismounted archers (Shooters ), an element of dismounted Knights (Blades), Up to two Ents as Behemoths, up to two beats - Hourn, and two elements of hastily armed civilians - Hordes.

Then for other battles, based more on Pelennor Field, I'll drop the Horde elements and Ent(s) and add Ewoyn as a second Hero and a Rider element of horse archers. 

Gentlemen, I thank you very much for your thoughts here and ALWAYS welcome such input. I never  take it negative, and find that I often miss things, so keep that kind of input coming!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

FierceKitty

Quote from: Terry37 on 27 November 2018, 04:51:35 AM
OK, here's where I'm at. Everything is back as originally planned. Paul's recommendation as a Sneaker only made sense from the stand point that she killed Angmar. But further discussion and thinking on my part realized there is one critical difference between a Sneaker and any other troop type - and that is, a Sneaker's sole mission is to take out an enemy commander - so think of Sam and Frodo. In combat with other troop types, even if the Sneaker wins the losing enemy is unaffected, except for save a Hero or maybe a A Magician - don't have my rules handy. But that's not important. In Ewoyn's case her sole mission was as a warrior to fight any enemy, and she just happens to be confronted by Angmar when he was attacking her father. Further, if you take the position presented by Paul, then anyone who kills a general must be a Sneaker, which is not the case.

I would not make Merry a Sneaker for the same reason, he was a warrior and again just happened to be in the right place at the right time to stick Agmar. But I'm not sure how to play him as I'd really like to add him to my Rohan army, using one of Pendraken's 10 MM Dark Age figures for him.

Re Gandalf, although he is a very powerful wizard, I see him as more of a Magician than a god. I do see Sauron as a god, but of course a very evil one.

My army is basically set up to play two ways - the army at Helms Deep with Knights, Eomer as a  Hero, Theoden as a Knight General, an element of dismounted archers (Shooters ), an element of dismounted Knights (Blades), Up to two Ents as Behemoths, up to two beats - Hourn, and two elements of hastily armed civilians - Hordes.

Then for other battles, based more on Pelennor Field, I'll drop the Horde elements and Ent(s) and add Ewoyn as a second Hero and a Rider element of horse archers.  

Gentlemen, I thank you very much for your thoughts here and ALWAYS welcome such input. I never  take it negative, and find that I often miss things, so keep that kind of input coming!

Terry

Offhand, I can't think of any deity who doesn't qualify as evil at some time at least. Even Athene and Apollo blot their copybooks at times.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Terry37

The basic base coats are done on Eowyn and partially on Theoden. If we have some sunlight tomorrow I'll take a few pics and post them.

Terry

Terry37

Nothing but rain and overcast here until Sunday. It's so bad they cancelled the cowboy action shooting match this coming Saturday! I'll get some pictures posted as soon as I can get enough light.

Terry

paulr

:-w

More time to make progress before you take the pictures :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Terry37

Ah! Finally some sunshine and so here are some pictures. Please keep in mind these are only the very basic base coats and are a long way from being finished and ready to base. But they will let you see the figures better than the previous pictures. I took a front and back of Eowyn as I am very pleased with how her beautiful blond hair came out. I still need to add the gold panels to her tassest and the cuirass seems to have had some very faded reddish portions which I need to try and add. I also need to do all of the work on Theoden's armor

Here's her he;met which is really hard to see due to it's small size and my camera,. You can also see some of her shattered shield as well.

Funny thing that this makes me think every time I see it that in the movie and this scene - when Angmar throws Theoden and his horse when they come to rest you can see Theoden pinned under the horse with is feet sticking out under the horses underside. But in all the scenes where Eowyn is fighting Angmar you only see the horse - no Theoden and no feet! Me thinks Theoden was not around during the filming of those scenes!!!!

More to follow,

Terry

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Terry37

Eowyn, her helmet and shattered shield are finished, and Theoden is almost done. We're back to gloomy overcast and rain/snow but as soon as I get some decent light I'll share pictures. maybe I'll have Theoden done as well.

On a separate note I am truly happy to advise that our two bunnies are finally bonded!!!! You cannot separate them now and it is so sweet and wonderful to see them together.

More soon,

Terry