A Project of a Different Sort

Started by Terry37, 29 July 2018, 04:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

The car's coming along nicely. :)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

Still on a roll here trying to get this all finished, but can't do any base work until the car is finished. Today I shaped the front fender and added the front bumper, the hood, and the rear window section. Decided that since the front of the car is going to be partially submerged I'll leave the hood closed, but still plan for the driver's door and the trunk lid to be ajar.  I also started working on the underside, and added the engine, the drive shaft tunnel and drive shaft and the differential. Need a little more shaping on the engine, and of course the hood and rear window need to be shaped. The I need to create the windows and do any final tweaking. Then complete the underside it'll be ready to paint. The small piece it's sitting under the car is  just something to hold it for the picture.

More soon,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Techno

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Terry37

Have been working steadily and making good progress. Ran out of sunshine yesterday so no pictures for yesterday, but here is where I am  as of this evening.

I apologize this picture is fuzzy. I took it a second time and that one was worse. At least you can get an idea. Personally I think it is a bit long at the front, but am hoping once in place with debris etc. around it that won't be an issue. The trunk has been re-carved, the rear window shaped, the front and rear bumpers added (the rear is just filed into the back while the front is an add on). The final shape of the door opening is done and the front wheel hub is in place. You can see I have done another bit of putty work on places that needed it, but if that's good then I am ready to start distressing the model to make it look dented and banged up for a PA wreck. I also need to make the door and the trunk lid, which are no big deal

Amazing, I got it in focus!!! You can see how it will look set on the model base. This view will be more toward the building but I wanted to share the underside. The gas tank has been added at the rear, and you can see the wheel hub at a hard right position. The underside is not finished, but I need to study a few pics and see how else to detail it.

Trust me paint is going to do a lot to improve the overall look. I probably won't try to scribe in the windows and will just paint them in. The open door window will be done as the previous model I did with bits of broken glass in it.

More soon,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Duke Speedy of Leighton

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Good progress Terry.

I'm sure it has been said before, but I can't believe you choose to craft these out of white metal. There seems to be nothing left of the original kubelwagen, would it not have been easier to work in wood or plastic to carve out the shape you need?

Anyway, you clearly have the skills (and patience) to make this work, so more power to you!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Terry37

Hi Fred,

Trust me I could not create it as easily by carving it from scratch as I can from modifying the basic form. Although I did build stick and tissue planes from plans and carved ship models from plans I really like working with white metal for this kind of thing. If when I look at a model and can see the possibility of what it can be turned into, and how I think to go about it, then that's a fun project for me. One thing I would do different on this one if I were to do it again would be  to rework the front a lot more. However, since a good portion of the front end will be covered up and buried I won't bother. I am not even doing anything to the right side since it is resting on that side -  need take a picture of to show you.

Just a little inside tip, and just between you and me - I am not trying to make any known car as we don't know what year the nuclear war happened, but I am trying to make a general look of a current car type - but at the same time using my beautiful 1993 Honda Accord with 190K miles on it as the guide.

Terry

Techno

Excellent work, Terry !

Cheers - Phil

Terry37

Alright, the car is basically done as far as creating it, with a few tweaks here and there and maybe a bit more on the underside, plus some dings, dents and stuff - after all it's supposed to be a wreck.. The tailpipe and muffler will be added separately as I plan to have it hanging loose in some fashion after the car is placed on the model. Then to start painting it.

I said I would take one of the right side of the car so you can see how I left most of it as is. But then too, I filed that side down at a bit so it would be resting at an angle with part of the rear of the car sticking up a bit. The back tire on the left side will be the full tire, but hanging loose from a broken axle, I am hoping to cover the two right side wheels with debris, water and ground.

This gives a good idea of the finished creation, and you can see the door and trunk lid as well, which I'll install just before priming and painting -

After I took the above pictures I added the lug bolts to the front left wheel hub, and made an engine to up inside the car. I did the latter because if you looked close enough through the wheel well you could see through to the other side. That may not have been apparent when it was glued on the base, but just in case there is now an engine there. Nothing fancy, just a block of lead to resemble the engine, but in the general shape of one.

No work on it tomorrow as I am going gaming, and will most likely be doing some ECW games. Always a favorite for me as I am a fan of just about any ball and musket period.

More soon,

Terry

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton