Latest of my lads in action

Started by lentulus, 13 November 2010, 11:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lentulus

13 November 2010, 11:15:03 PM Last Edit: 13 November 2010, 11:49:14 PM by lentulus
Tried out a set of rules a friend of mine has been working on for quite a while.

Here's a sampler:

with the whole collection here:

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff44/lentulus/Not-SYW%20in%2010mm/Hearts%20of%20Tin%20-%20Battle%201/

The rules can be found here:

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B6Vtpy0fz6kBNDUzMzZmOTQtNmYyYi00YWM3LWI3YTItZGM5OWMzZTJjZjZl&hl=en

Someday I must do a proper AAR.  I have been putting out too much terrain for the size of armies that I have now;  next time I think something a bit more open.  I found the rules a bit less frustrating than Black Powder -- a matter of taste of course, both are good fun.

Ross writes about his gaming, including his rules, here:

http://gameofmonth.blogspot.com/

nikharwood

Excellent - thanks for the link to Ross's rules too...with a SYW scrap just set-up (and with me expecting to play it with Black Powder) I'll have a good read of these & see what I think...

...knowing me, I'll probably want to fight it twice just to see the difference  ;) :)

lentulus

Quote from: nikharwood on 13 November 2010, 11:38:45 PM
...knowing me, I'll probably want to fight it twice just to see the difference  ;) :)

I'll be interested in the result - and I expect Ross will be as well.

Leon

Quote from: nikharwood on 13 November 2010, 11:38:45 PM

Oooh, two batreps!

Good stuff Lentulus!  Are those the Hexon tiles from Kallistra?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

lentulus

Quote from: Leon on 13 November 2010, 11:50:12 PM
Good stuff Lentulus!  Are those the Hexon tiles from Kallistra?

Yes, don't have enough to do a full table, but they are great for generating interesting hill patterns and store very nicely between battles.

Leon

Quote from: lentulus on 13 November 2010, 11:53:53 PM
Yes, don't have enough to do a full table, but they are great for generating interesting hill patterns and store very nicely between battles.

Yeah, they're a great bit of kit, I've always been impressed with them.  Much more versatile than the regular square tiles.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Grenadier

I looked into Kallistra as I'd never heard of them.  Very nice stuff, but, jinkeys!, the cost to ship them to the U.S. puts the kybosh on obtaining any. The 20% shipping that most companies charge in the UK is keeping me from making quite a few purchases. I got a very small box from Baccus which cost me $19 shipping! Man I hope the USD-GBP exchange rate gets closer to 1:1 :'(

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Probelm is that 20% is roughly what it does cost, inculding all the bits and peices. Just sent a package to US for £5.96 + 1 hr to build it (for painted 6mm), £1.30 for the box, and £1 ish for packageing. The hour should cost at least £5.50, before our current leader removes nat min wage, and send kids up chinneys. payment for order was £50, total cost £60. 

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Quote from: Grenadier on 14 November 2010, 02:08:27 AM
I looked into Kallistra as I'd never heard of them.  Very nice stuff, but, jinkeys!, the cost to ship them to the U.S. puts the kybosh on obtaining any. The 20% shipping that most companies charge in the UK is keeping me from making quite a few purchases. I got a very small box from Baccus which cost me $19 shipping! Man I hope the USD-GBP exchange rate gets closer to 1:1 :'(

As IanS says, the 20% for them is probably about right for the Hexon tiles, with most couriers charging for the size as well as the weight now.  We dropped our rate from 30% to 15% earlier this year, and we've seen more orders come in, but we actually lose money on some of them now.  A Dungeon Set to the States is £6 postage for the customer, but costs us £16 to send!

I don't know if Kallistra have a US stockist?

Incidentally, Dave went to school with Paul from Kallistra, they've been friends for about 40 years now! 

Luddite

Quote from: Leon on 14 November 2010, 02:16:42 PM
A Dungeon Set to the States is £6 postage for the customer, but costs us £16 to send!

Serious Leon, unless you're running that as a defined loss-leader product that does actually generate extra trade to make up for the loss i'd suggest you rethink that.  No business can sustain selling at a loss.

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

Leon

Quote from: Luddite on 14 November 2010, 02:39:52 PM
Serious Leon, unless you're running that as a defined loss-leader product that does actually generate extra trade to make up for the loss i'd suggest you rethink that.  No business can sustain selling at a loss.

That's an extreme, just as an illustration of how much the postage can be on some items.  It's not ideal, but US customers are never gonna pay 40% postage on a Dungeon Set, and the supplementary sales of Dungeon related items makes it worth it.

lentulus

In Kallistra's defense, while the shipping is pricey (I live in Canada) its is full-bore courier with accurate tracking and delivery within a very few days.

Grenadier

Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Kallistra, Baccus, Pendraken or any other UK outfit,  just the shipping system.  Almost all UK product sold through US distributors actually cost more than buying direct as I still have to cover the distributor's cost of shipping to the States, middleman markup and then shipping to my door, if it's @#*% in stock.  I suppose I could order by the container load to save on shipping. Hmmm, Leon, set me up with 10,000 of everything you got, and I need it by the 1st of December. :o I'm kidding, reallly, don't do it!
There is SO much great stuff from the UK that sometimes I wish I lived there.(at least long enough to buy what I need) :D

Grenadier

No then both HMRC and US Cutoms and Homeland Security will get you.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leon

Quote from: Grenadier on 14 November 2010, 04:07:38 PM
  Don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Kallistra, Baccus, Pendraken or any other UK outfit,  just the shipping system.  Almost all UK product sold through US distributors actually cost more than buying direct as I still have to cover the distributor's cost of shipping to the States, middleman markup and then shipping to my door, if it's @#*% in stock.  I suppose I could order by the container load to save on shipping. Hmmm, Leon, set me up with 10,000 of everything you got, and I need it by the 1st of December. :o I'm kidding, reallly, don't do it!
There is SO much great stuff from the UK that sometimes I wish I lived there.(at least long enough to buy what I need) :D

Grenadier

I know what you mean, we have quite a few distributors around the world, and the postage charges can sometimes negate any discount we give them, so I can understand why they have to put a bigger mark-up on the product to make it worth their while.

(Just as a quick plug though, when you look at our prices even with the shipping, we're still cheaper than some of our competitors without shipping!)

:D