Of the limited choices which looks best?

Started by d_Guy, 20 October 2017, 07:15:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should I do about the elevation level edges?

Leave them as is
0 (0%)
Paint them a shade of green
26 (89.7%)
Paint them black
1 (3.4%)
Other (please explain if inclined)
2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: 27 October 2017, 07:15:12 PM

d_Guy

As I have come to value the opinions on this board, what should I do?

More and more I am moving to smaller, simpler game surfaces and am beginning to embrace grids. While many of you do stunning games (even in small spaces) I don't think I can reach that level. So the "boxy", all terrain components above the battlemat is now working quite well for me (in the end I still like the way the games in "Little Wars" look!). Someday I might use the Kallistra hexon system which look excellent.

For now, I'm using squares. The elevation squares are cut from 1/2" dense cork board and are simple to store and stack. I am setting up for the Battle of Mulroy (1688) and building a large hill (at far end of board):

I am in an absolute quandary about how to handle the elevation edges of the hill.

I made this a poll because many more folks participate in polls than actually comment. I also realize that many won't like this look at all but try to force yourself to make a choice.  :)

Many thanks,
d_guy
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jimduncanuk

20 October 2017, 08:11:16 PM #2 Last Edit: 20 October 2017, 08:39:45 PM by jimduncanuk
Yup, paint them a shade of green to match your tabletop, preferably mottled to break up the sharpness of their edge.

Same with your wooded base areas, paint them but differently from your tabletop so that the wooded area is obvious but not just a bit of MDF.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Techno

Steve J

Sandinista

If you have the spare cash the Kallistra hexon system is excellent

Cheers
Ian

petercooman

Shade of green for me. I would make the edges sloped though!

Matt J

chamfer and paint - little bit of work but would be massive improvement.

and paint the wooded board areas.

then you will have a bangingly good set-up because the rest of your terrain looks really good
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

paulr

Wot Matt said :)

Only problem of course is how many edges to chamfer  :-\

Definitely paint green and the rest definitely looks really good
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Am with the overwhelming majority on green edges, mottled. Agree with doing something with the tree bases, too - maybe same shade as the board but with small rocks and lichen and clump foliage on the edges or some chunky flock across them for undergrowth & make them stand back out.

If you leave the trees mobile and keep the flock/edging low to minimal you can keep the space for the troops still AND not make it too awkward to lay the bases out in the square...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Funnily enough I would go with brown, or grey to match the tops. Using a block system like this is fairly unrealistic (although eminently practical and effective) and thus the high ground should stand out as being different.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Womble67

I would definitely go with a shade of green

I would just add but as long as you're happy with it that's the most important thing

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

d_Guy

First, I very much appreciate the great response and several suggestions. So the poll up for less the 24 hours, green is winning with 93% of the vote, so I'm going out on a limb and project it as the winner.

I take seriously the comments about beveling/champhering the block edges. Doing so would give a much better look. In the end it would be as Paul says:
Quote from: paulr on 21 October 2017, 12:19:23 AM
Only problem of course is how many edges to chamfer  :-
I am trying to get by with as few element as possible which can be rotated in any of the four directions. I didn't have sufficient blocks to build the hill with sides extending and "sloping" left and right (not sure that would have helped appearance however).

Quote from: Sandinista on 20 October 2017, 09:21:12 PM
If you have the spare cash the Kallistra hexon system is excellent

Cheers
Ian
I am considering going this way but will need a substantial amount of time to do budget set-asides. May try to get a 3x4 single box to experiment with over the Winter.

Several of you suggested mottling the edges and that was a good idea. For a while last night I experimented with a WW1 dazzle (in brown, black,grey, green) but - uh, no.  :)

The trees, rocks and shrubs  are on individual (or small group) bases so they can be moved about. The squares that denote areas are small vinyl tiles. I had experimented a good deal with them recently and worked the edges a bit but need to have the same flexibility as with the elevation blocks

As Leman says
Quote from: Leman on 21 October 2017, 08:10:01 AM
Funnily enough I would go with brown, or grey to match the tops. Using a block system like this is fairly unrealistic (although eminently practical and effective) and thus the high ground should stand out as being different.

At the moment I going for practical.  :)
Using a uniform dark color (that's why I was really thinking about black) appeals. I even thought about embracing the horror and painting them red!

So I have done the front edges (and added in some lichen scatter). Also replaced the tan tiles under the foreground trees with green ones:

The good news is that I rarely will need to do hills with this many levels (Killiecrankie being a clear exception) AND it does rather look like -dare I say it - an Aztec step pyramid.  :D

Again, thanks everyone this has been very useful!

The poll, however, runs for four more days and we have seen problems in projecting from early poll returns.  :-\
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

petercooman

Have you thought about making some triangular strips to put next to the edges? Then you don't have to chamfer anything.