POLL - Your paint brand for minis... yell it from this mountain top!

Started by ErHo, 16 October 2017, 05:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What brand of paint do you use?

Army Painter
8 (24.2%)
Citadel
8 (24.2%)
Andrea
0 (0%)
Ral Partha
1 (3%)
Testors
1 (3%)
House paint
1 (3%)
Generic Acrylic craft paint
9 (27.3%)
Blood of thine enemy
2 (6.1%)
Howard Hues
0 (0%)
Vallejo
22 (66.7%)
Reeves
0 (0%)
Coat D'Arms
5 (15.2%)
Windsor & Newton
0 (0%)
Humbrol
2 (6.1%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Voting closed: 26 October 2017, 05:14:40 PM

Ace of Spades

Started to shift from enamels like Humbrol and Revell to acrylics about a year ago; now I use mostly GW and Vallejo with some water based Humbrol in the mix. For airbrushing I prefer Tamiya.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

ErHo

Quote from: Terry37 on 17 October 2017, 02:59:39 AM
You do not list the paints I use the most - Creamcoat, Apple Barrel, Anita's, Folk Art and Americana (these are all cheap hobby store paints, but work very nicely and their ranges are extensive). These hobby store paints mix with each other as well as with Vallejo. I also use Vallejo, and an occasional other modeling brand if they have a shade I need.

Terry

Thats me too, I considered them a part of generic craft acrylic. 
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

d_Guy

I like Grumbacher Artist Acylics since they have very smooth consistancy and now come in plastic squeeze tubes which avoides the old toothpaste tube syndrome.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Raider4

I used to use Games Workshop paints exclusively, until they did the last overhaul and completely replaced all the paints I'd gotten used to.

I still miss Dark Angels Green, Dwarf Bronze, Bleached Bone and Terracotta.

No I'm trying Humbrol Acrylics, but not really got used to them yet.

I've always used house paint (emulsion) for basing & terrain.

Cheers, M.
--

ErHo

The old Citadel range, I miss it too.

Orc staff brown, Terracotta, Salamander Green(before DA changed from black to dark green).

There used to be a cross reference chart for approximate matches in the new line, but Terracotta never made it back.
"Call it extreme if you like, but I propose we hit it hard and hit it fast with a major - and I mean major - leaflet campaign."

- Rimmer

Orcs

I have a huge mix of paints going back years. Particularly as my friend Richard gave me all his when he stopped painting miniatures.
I have a load of the Miniature Paints from when  Sunjester stopped trading at shows and cleared his stock.

As I am time poor I tend to buy a specific colour if its available rather than ty to mix it I have about 90 pots off paint in draws on my painting table plus a 50 pot Vallejo stand.  I then have an A4 box file in a cupboard with "spares" ( that's the fault of Richard and Sunjester with their stock clear out). Even with this huge amout I still find I run out pf specific paints

Vallejo
Miniature Pants
Coat d'arms
Colour party
Citadel
Odd acrylic paints I have had for 15 years

Winsor and Newtons inks

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

toxicpixie

If we count "across the years" and include washes/varnishes/specials I think I've used pretty much all of that. Not mine enemies blood but likely my own, if you count trimming and clean up stages. I probably shouldn't be allowed a craft knife or sharp snips :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ithoriel

Quote from: toxicpixie on 21 October 2017, 12:36:26 AM
If we count "across the years" and include washes/varnishes/specials I think I've used pretty much all of that. Not mine enemies blood but likely my own, if you count trimming and clean up stages. I probably shouldn't be allowed a craft knife or sharp snips :D

I am told from time to time that I am my own worst enemy.

I have, over the piece, punctured myself on the sharp points of spears, bayonets and unnoticed stray bits of sprue and left spots of blood in recesses of figures sufficiently regularly to consider that I could include the blood of mine enemies in my tally :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

I recently started using proper pre-shaped wire on my 15mm ancients for lances/spesrs. I always tell people t be careful as they're ludicrously sharp, usually mention "it does stop people fondling them unasked and carelessly though, hoho", then inevitably I stab myself on them!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Quote from: toxicpixie on 21 October 2017, 12:58:38 AM
I recently started using proper pre-shaped wire on my 15mm ancients for lances/spesrs. I always tell people t be careful as they’re ludicrously sharp, usually mention “it does stop people fondling them unasked and carelessly though, hoho”, then inevitably I stab myself on them!
On the plus side they remain stuck in your fingers and don’t fall on the floor where they can be lost.

Musket and Pike wargaming is the only one of the periods in which the gamers actually bleed!

Sorry - just realized they used pikes before 1590.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

toxicpixie

Thanks Bill, silver lining to think about whilst I get my tetanus Jabs :D