New Line Sea People Commission - Oh Dark Lord, please forgive them...

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 10 August 2017, 05:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

O Dinas Powys

(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Actually, was going to paint him pink with white polka dots!
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

We caught a deserter!

paulr

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: mad lemmey on 17 January 2018, 07:30:58 PM
Actually, was going to paint him pink with white polka dots!

You're a cruel, cruel man!  :o

Is this the result of being a teacher?! ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

paulr

;D ;D ;D

Managed not to laugh out loud while reading this on the train...

Just  #:-S

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Mycenaeans, who will be part of Graham's next campaign.

Pikes advancing, honest

Proper pikes

Techno

Looking good, Will. 8)

I'd like to suggest you use a more 'mid'....erm.... 'shade'.....as a background. (Mid grey/mid blue.)

I just get the feeling that your camera (phone ?) is getting fooled by the very light (white ?) background, causing the figs to be underexposed.
Don't think you're doing your painting justice, sometimes.  :)

Cheers - Phil.

fred.

I think Phil is right.

I've swapped to a black background for quick photos as the phone seems to work out the light levels much better that way.

A mate shared some photos of some cowboys recently and against a light blue background they were very washed out, against a black & brown mottled background the figures suddenly jumped out an looked much better (under the same lighting)
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Glad you agree, Forbes.  :)...(And I think it was Nathan....or was it Matt, who mentioned this before ?).

When I first started taking photo's of 'wee men' I had what was then called a 'gray card', which is what I used to as a reference get the camera to 'tell' me what level of exposure I needed.
(This is back in the days when I could actually be bothered to use a camera on 'manual' settings.....Nowadays, I just take snaps...and guess.  X_X :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[)

If I was outside....(taking piccies of gee-gees going over fences, for example.)....I'd take a meter reading off my hand, as that's supposed to be fairly neutral....then adjust the camera.
If the camera/phone is just used on an auto setting.....And it see's too much light coming back into the auto meter.....It'll underexpose the subject...Which is a shame.  :(

You don't NEED to go to any manual settings on the camera/phone....As long as the background is a relatively 'mid' shade.

Hope that makes sense !!  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Techno

Good grief, Will....No need to apologise !  ;D ;D

I just think you'd do your painting much more justice if the figures weren't underexposed...It'd give 'em more 'punch'.
If you use a much more 'neutral' shade background, your 'snatched' shots would look oodles better.....I'm sure, Matey.

(You should see some of the awful hand held snaps of green masters I send Leon !!.....I often have to re-shoot at least once, 'cos I'm rushing, and don't take care with the originals. ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Cheers - Phil