French Aeronefs

Started by Duke Speedy of Leighton, 25 May 2017, 05:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

No, they're not steampunk, honest, this is genuine alternative history!
First three French Nefs (three figures that have been getting in the way for years, decided that actually they needed doing, painted their opposing Brits years ago)
A Battleship, a 'Formidable' class cruiser, and a dirigible aircraft carrier.

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Those are fun, Will.

Top notch !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Leman

You should take a look at Old Glory's 1/600th ironclad range.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

Womble67

Very nice indeed Will
Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

They're very nice - the whole Space 1889/Flightpunk "period" would be a good draw, if I had time/room/resources/opponents for another project :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

Well - I could embrace those also (of course I can't even get my actual historical dreadnaughts painted).
It's a bit worrying that the battleship and cruiser have nary a belly gun turret between them.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

sunjester

toxicpixie

Quote from: d_Guy on 26 May 2017, 04:10:11 AM
Well - I could embrace those also (of course I can't even get my actual historical dreadnaughts painted).
It's a bit worrying that the battleship and cruiser have nary a belly gun turret between them.

I think the hand wavium they're built of needs a solid, boat like bottom - a solid, big base of liftwood to build off and hold them up...

At least that's how Space 1889 did it!

But yes, that's always bugged me somewhat.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

lowlylowlycook

These things are very cool and you did a great job painting them.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

http://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Aeronef/France/VAN-413.html

Some monitors have downwards shooting abilities.
I thought that too, but my theory was outdated navy thinking...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

toxicpixie

Is the "in game" rationale on that class because it's a Monitor and doing "shore" bombardment?

d_Guy

Quote from: mad lemmey on 26 May 2017, 01:41:55 PM
I thought that too, but my theory was outdated navy thinking...

Interesting! Instead of maneuvering for the weather gage, you maneuver for the altitude gage making  terrain an important feature.

Quote from: toxicpixie on 26 May 2017, 09:29:56 AM
I think the hand wavium they're built of needs a solid, boat like bottom - a solid, big base of liftwood to build off and hold them up...

At least that's how Space 1889 did it!
I don't know the fiction but sounds like Well's Cavorite.
Dang it! Must. Not. Get. interested. In. This!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

toxicpixie

Heh, my direct and immediate interest started and stopped with Space: 1889 from GDW & Sterling & Gibsons "The Difference Engine" way back when, but it's always a little bubbling under somewhere. Pith helmets on Mars and flying pre-Dreadnoughts speak to something inside us all :D

DanJ

Very nice pictures; personally I like a bit of Steampunk, it's about all the Sci-Fi I do.