And now for something completely different...

Started by nikharwood, 16 October 2010, 11:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nikharwood

....how many of us have figures, maybe in another scale, that are prepped, based, undercoated & ready-to-paint - which have languished untouched for ever...

I finally got round to painting my GW Lord of the Rings 25mm Hobbits today - from the Fellowship / Weathertop sets which I bought & made-ready on release, and which have sat, taunting me with their black undercoat, for years now...

Feels good to have got them done  8)

(It's also nice to paint something that's not 10mm to be honest...shh...don't tell anyone  ;) :P)

Maenoferren

Well as I am a wargaming tart, I have loads of stuff undercoated and ready to paint, now it is dinosaur hunting in 10mm. I am trying to be a good boy and get them finished, all of them, based and varnished... wish me luck :P
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Sandinista

Guilty. have lots in many scales waiting, some over 20 years I am a bad man  :o

Annatar

17 October 2010, 08:10:02 AM #3 Last Edit: 17 October 2010, 08:28:29 AM by Annatar
My 2nd edition Gw talisman minis are still lying untouched in the basement! How a sad fate, 'cause i think that these are/were really (!) great miniatures with a lot of unique character, when this company wasn't lost to the dark side of the force :d.  At the moment i am quite busy and not much time is left for painting. Sad but true.

Maybe next year  :'(

Or the year after next  :'( :'(

Or next decade  :'( :'( :'(

Or maybe some archaeologist will excavate them in a few hundred years and will puzzle
                                                                                                             about them.  Why didn't the owner paint his small gods ?     :-\
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: Annatar on 17 October 2010, 08:10:02 AM
Or maybe some archaeologist will excavate them in a few hundred years and will puzzle about them.  Why didn't the owner paint his small gods ?     :-\

LOL!  =D>
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

SV52

Yup, recognize this all too well.  Decided to get a grip and paint strictly to a realistic production list, most of the way through the penultimate project for this year.  Now only 3 on the list for 2011, after that start filling in gaps in abandoned projects (2 off) and get them finished.  Then at last the broad sunlit uplands of territories new will be clearly visible:

'...O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.'

8-}
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Stacks of stuff - mostly 25mm Ancients, of Greek origin all sorts on manufactures.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

goat major

i found my 30 year old Garrison Greeks in the garage the other day. Theyre staying there.....
My blog: https://goatmajor.org.uk/
My twitting: http://twitter.com/goatmajor

2014 Painting Competition - Winner!

Pruneau

Thing is 30 year old mini's tend to be under par to today's standards:  The detail on a 28 mm figure today is tenfold what it was 30 years ago.  So the more they remain on the shelf, the worse they're gonna get.

I have a bunch of GW orcs lying around, night gobs, black orcs, and two trolls, that still need painting.  Then a batch of black tree orcs that I bought at crisis 2008 thinking " these are cheaper than GW and look just as good" are lying next to them.  I still am working my way through the complete Lance and Laser Heroquest range I purchased when Lance and Laser closed, thinking I'd be unable to get them again later.  Add to that a bunch of celts, romans, greeks, assyrians and babylonians that have to be cleaned, modded, primes and painted in the heroquest idiom.  Funnily enough, I have painted almost everything I purchased at crisis 2009: a bunch of otherworld and fenryll mainly.

Boardgames: MMP ACW, ASL ᴥ BKC & SSOM - WW2 (In development) ᴥ Flying Lead - Sci-Fi: Shocktroops, Pulp, Spugs ᴥ WH - Greenskins, Dwarfs

http://hiording.blogspot.com - http://runequestfun.blogspot.com - http://secondsquadonme.blogspot.com

ʎɐqə ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎəʞ ɐ ʎnq ı əɯıʇ ʇsɐl əɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Sandinista

Quote from: goat major on 17 October 2010, 02:22:00 PM
i found my 30 year old Garrison Greeks in the garage the other day. Theyre staying there.....

I'd forgot about that company, I remember visiting the wokshop in Thornaby when I was still at school, many many moons ago

nikharwood

18 October 2010, 08:21:29 PM #10 Last Edit: 18 October 2010, 08:31:58 PM by nikharwood
Interesting stuff fellas...leads me to some further questions though:

- are you (sub)consciously holding on to figures which, if you are honest, you know you will never paint / finish? And, if so, why??!

- what would make you motivated to get them done? [in my example, for the hobbits, it was that I watched the LoTR trilogy again over the weekend...]

Most of my 25mm stuff was inherited or swaped so no great motivation. The 6mm pile is mainly stuff that I replaced, and stowed agaisnt future use.

IanS  :'(
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sandinista

My 25/8mm stuff is doing not a lot other than gathering dust at the moment. Not sure if it is percieved resale loss, nostalgia or apathy that is stopping me selling it

Maenoferren

[quoteInteresting stuff fellas...leads me to some further questions though:

- are you (sub)consciously holding on to figures which, if you are honest, you know you will never paint / finish? And, if so, why??!

][/quote]
my GW wood elves arent worth selling anywhere, it seems a bit pointless to spend money on ebay to sell them, and as I live so far away from any conventions I cant sell them there. As for the WWII stuff, we arent doing the wierd wars stuff, and then we went from 28mm to 15mm so it is sat there in a pulp/wierd wars kind of hiatus, should flog them too, but havent got round to it :-[ :-[ :-[
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

DanJ

I currently can't get round to painting 2 10mm Egyptian chariots, not 2 units, just two individual models.

I just can't seem to work up any enthusiasm for them, don't know why I just don't want to paint them.  But this thread has made me pick up that wretched painting stick and get on with them.