To Base or not to Base, that is the question.

Started by T13A, 12 December 2016, 06:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulf

As I game mostly in Skirmish scale I don't base 10mm vehicles (I do when I play 6mm or 2/3mm, which are not skirmish games), and I try to keep the bases on figures minimal. I also don't like the look of a tank or weapons team carrying around their own section of grassland, or, worse, bushes & trees. While I do agree with comments above that any base does increase the height of infantry unrealistically, most '10mm' infantry these days look too big for '10mm' tanks anyway...

And basing either makes them look way too big compared to houses & especially doorways...

The one reason I might base some vehicles is size & weight - I game early war, and some of the tanks, especially ones I have in resin & 3d print materials, are feather light & could do with some base weight.

Ithoriel

Quote from: Wulf on 13 December 2016, 01:38:24 PM
And basing either makes them look way too big compared to houses & especially doorways...

So .... base the houses too?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Wulf

Quote from: Ithoriel on 13 December 2016, 02:05:12 PM
So .... base the houses too?
Fine with individual buildings, but not if you make up section of urban terrain. Having every building on it's own plinth looks even more odd...

Zippee

Quote from: Wulf on 13 December 2016, 02:21:15 PM
Fine with individual buildings, but not if you make up section of urban terrain. Having every building on it's own plinth looks even more odd...

They're not plinths, they're pavements!

or gardens or whatnot  :D

paulr

It also helps bring the Wendy houses up to the height of the figures ;) :D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Quote from: paulr on 13 December 2016, 11:01:53 PM
It also helps bring the Wendy houses up to the height of the figures ;) :D

Hear! Hear! ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Sunray

Quote from: Norm on 12 December 2016, 08:25:14 PM
I do because it keeps the height of the vehicle relative to the height of the based infantry and in the storage tray, the bases stop the vehicles coming into contact with each other.

I have struggled with the basing issue over the years.  It becomes an issue in some rules when the viable range for a hit is taken to the edge of the base as opposed to the actual AFV.

From an asthenic viewpoint, the big AFVs do look good when their tracks are hitting the road.  Nothing jars like a base of grass and scrub on a tarmac high street or Autobahn.

IF ...you can source it, my solution was cheap industrial plastic card at 2mm thick.  I base my infantry and guns on the card - general  a dark base colour with a light sprinkle of the green/dark browns.  With only 2m difference the infantry do not look out of proportion to the vehicles.

It works for me - but it is a marmite question. No one correct answer.

Last Hussar

Surely a Marmite question is an issue where people either love it or hate it.  And in this case there is a correct answer.

Marmite is made from the turds of Satan himself, and should be banned by international agreement.
I have neither the time nor the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

d_Guy

Quote from: Last Hussar on 15 December 2016, 06:11:17 PM
Surely a Marmite question is an issue where people either love it or hate it.  And in this case there is a correct answer.

Marmite is made from the turds of Satan himself, and should be banned by international agreement.

Thanks! Your evocative description now means I won't have to find out for myself.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Last Hussar on 15 December 2016, 06:11:17 PM

I agree there is only one correct answer, so it is a little baffling that you then proceed to type entirely the wrong answer!

Did you perchance omit a "not" both before the "made" and after the "should?" You should probably correct that, otherwise people will assume you're one of those weird people that doesn't savour the wonderful ambrosia that is marmite, presumably through some sort of industrial accident or genetic malfunction.

Ithoriel

Marmite - nectar of the gods! Stirred into stews and soups, smeared on toast, built into twiglets ... yum!

paulr

To complicate matters there is of course Vegemite :D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

"I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich" :)

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Ithoriel on 16 December 2016, 03:30:57 AM
"I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich" :)

Oh, do you come from a land down under?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner