Highlanders

Started by kev1964, 13 October 2016, 05:07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kev1964

Hi all,

It seems ages since i painted any Pendraken goodies, here are a few Highlanders, really lovely sculpts.

kev

2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ryman

Shockingly good  :o
I can't believe you've painted tartan on 10mm,  well co-ordinated bright and vivid colours as usual make your work among the finest out there.
Very very impressive.

Cheers

Ry

Techno

Not bad.  ;)

Those look belting, Kev !  :-bd :-SS :-bd.

Cheers - Phil

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Jesus

Impresionante.
Ole, ole, y ole!!!!!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

Roy

Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: kev1964 on 13 October 2016, 05:07:15 AM
Hi all,

It seems ages since i painted any Pendraken goodies, here are a few Highlanders, really lovely sculpts.

kev

Cool
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

toxicpixie

They are EXCELLENT! Lovely tartan - can I ask how you did it?!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

skywalker

fred.

Great stuff.

The tartan looks kind of abstract in style, which is probably a very sensible way of doing it in 10mm

I attempted tartan by using a series of then crossed lines in a pale colour. It sort of works, but doesn't give you the coloured check effect that Kev's method has.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

Yeah, I've tried a couple of ways - crossed coloured lines over a grey base colour with a brown-ish wash, or checked lines over a darker base with black left in the recesses, or just a plain neutral "main colour over a blakc base coat - the latter actually looked surprisingly good, as even quite garish tartan fades with distance to the "main colour" so for 10mm at gaming distance it worked well enough. The problem with tartan is that if you get it wrong it looks terrible :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

kev1964

Thank's for the comments chaps,  yes Fred it is kind of abstract ,  it's too difficult to try the full vertical then horizontal lines on this scale. I have gone for a main base colour ( brown, dark green, dark blue and dark red) then used a highlight ( apx 50% lighter than the basecoat) down the raised creases of the kilt, this gives an immediate  contrast , then, for example on the green kilt i paint a very thin yellow line in the crease next to the highlight, then two or three intermittent  horizontal lines to make a small cross, you can always add a touch of red in the same way to make it stand out more. It's about deceiving the eye in this scale. :).  I hope this makes sense. If i get time next week i'll try and do a short tutorial.

kev
2013 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Nice, it's very effective.

I also like your figure holders, very handy :D

d_Guy

Lovely work, Kev. Look forward to your tutorial!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on