Favourite non-fiction historical book(s)?

Started by Westmarcher, 03 October 2016, 01:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

Quote from the "Favourite Historical Film?" topic -

Quote from: fsn on 03 October 2016, 12:16:02 PM

I do have books etc that I constantly return to. Are they favourites?

Me, too. Two of the books that spring to my mind are - 

Fusiliers by Mark Urban - fascinating study of progressive thinking within the British Army which adapted to a new style of warfare, blowing away the myth that it was a plodding, linear 18th Century army composed of automatons.
Robert Bruce: And the Community of the Realm of Scotland by G W S Barrow - another fascinating book, detailing the crisis in Scotland that developed after the death of Alexander III, the predatory machinations of Edward I, the occupation of Scotland and the rise of Wallace and Bruce that led to Scotland regaining its independence. Not only is it a particularly stirring story (especially if you are a Scot) but also a fascinating insight into the medieval mindset (a bit like The Godfather, in my mind!).

What books do you find yourself returning to?

[IF POSSIBLE, PLEASE RESTRICT TO YOUR TOP TWO OR THREE ONLY]
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

cameronian

Evelyn Waugh, Sword of Honour
FM Slim Defeat into Victory

BTW I love Fusiliers too, cracking read, then there's BC's Mud blood and Poppycock, and and and  ...
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

fsn

"Waterloo: A Near Run Thing" by David Howarth
"Firepower" by Brig B P Hughes
"Napoleon's Great Adversaries" by Rothenberg

"A Bridge too Far" and "The Longest Day" by Cornelius Ryan

I'm also a sucker for any of the books called "... Army Handbook" - I have the British, US, Red, Japanese and German.

Also Jane's aircraft and Conway's naval reference books - and most of the Osprey lines.

To be honest, I'm a bit "meh" about most campaign narratives. Give me technical and tactical any day!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Being simple-minded I like History written as narrative (which may be on the fringe of non-fiction).
In this catagory my all time favorite is Allan Eckert's Winning of America series. Well researched but some may consider his conjectured dialogs and interior thoughts as taking too much license. For those starting in FIW, Pontiac's Rebellion, AWI or the westward expansion, however, these books are a great starting point.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

I keep coming back to F L Taylor's  The Art of War in Italy 1494-1529. As a book solely devoted to the Italian Wars I don't think it has been bettered even though it was written 95 years ago.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

cameronian

Quote from: FierceKitty on 03 October 2016, 03:49:03 PM
The Heike Monogotari.

Entire or abridged, in English or Japanese, original version or modern ?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

slugbalancer

Keeping it to just two...
Go Strong Into The Desert: The Mahdist Uprising In Sudan 1881-85 by Mike Snook  Great book on this part of the conflicts in Sudan.
War Diaries, 1939-1945 by Alex Danchev Alanbrookes as CIGS dealing with Churchill and others.  Fascinating.

Plus any book on FM Slim.

mollinary

Peter Young's Battle of Edgehill.   Got it when it came out, and it just blew me away with its logical approach, level of detail, and collection of original sources included in the book. I still have that copy, and consult it regularly.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

shireman

"The Roman Revolution" by Sir Ronald Syme. Brilliant account of the end of the republic and rise of Augustus, first read at St Andrews in second year Ancient History and read frequently since.

"From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow" by Arthur Marder. Magnificent. The Jutland volume is a thrilling read.

NTM

Kershaw 'It never snows in September'
Russell 'No triumphant procession'
Hofschroer 'The Waterloo campaign'

Ithoriel

Currently,

"Warfare In The Ancient Near East to 1600BC: Holy Warriors At The Dawn Of History" by WJ Hamblin

and

"Bronze Age Military Equipment" by Dan Howard

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

cameronian

Bollox - completely forgot, Roth's 'The Radetzky March' - fin de siecle novel about the end of empire (Austro Hungarian of course), beautifully written in a magnificent translation (Hoffman).

Leman

Non-fiction? Deserving of another bollocks methinks.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

I can only offer Ritter, Shaka Zulu.

And I keep going back to it for reference for a PBM rpg.
Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"