joy of six

Started by Shutuphippie, 16 July 2016, 07:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Thirded !

Cheers - Phil

Bodvoc

We have probably all done that but never quite explained so well!
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

fsn

A lovely turn of phrase, which could be expressed matehmaticlaly as:

w = 2b = 4s

Where w=what Ithoriel wanted to buy, s=what Ithoriel should have bought and  b= what Itoriel actually bought.

Considering my own purchases it's more like:

w = 0.75b = 8s

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Nice report Ithoriel. Couldn't make it this year but hope to see you there next year.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

pierre the shy

Looks like you got the hang of the camera pretty well Ithoriel - some nice looking games  8)

Liked the forests in the Britannia game.....

The Somme game looks interesting......did you wander past during the set up as quite a few feet of unmanned allied trenches....guessing if Robert Dunlop was running it they were using GWSH2 rules?

Thanks again for posting the pics.

Cheers

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Zippee

By stint of very poor planning I will be in Sheffield this weekend with hours to kill post lunch, in between ceremony and drinks at a friend's wedding - had he booked last weekend it would have been perfect.

Instead I need to find something to kill 4 or 5 hours next weekend.

Ithoriel

Quote from: pierre the shy on 18 July 2016, 10:41:16 AM
Looks like you got the hang of the camera pretty well Ithoriel - some nice looking games  8)

Liked the forests in the Britannia game.....

The Somme game looks interesting......did you wander past during the set up as quite a few feet of unmanned allied trenches....guessing if Robert Dunlop was running it they were using GWSH2 rules?

Thanks again for posting the pics.

Cheers

I'm glad people like the pics.

The Somme game seemed to take quite a while to set up so I took some shots early on, easy to lose track of what you've taken pics of in the heat of the moment, then went back later once the game was in progress.

Not sure what rules were being used ... I'm afraid I was too busy working out what it would cost me to do a scaled down version using the gorgeous Timecast trench systems. More than I ought to spend being my conclusion :-)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Quote from: fsn on 18 July 2016, 08:00:58 AM
w = 2b = 4s

Known here after as the "Ithoriel-Nobby Equality" (or is it the "Ithoriel-Nobby Conjecture").

O, reason not the need! Our basest beggars
Are in the poorest thing superfluous.
Allow not nature more than nature needs,
Man's life's as cheap as beast's.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

FierceKitty

:)  A literate post. Then is doomsday nigh!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

The boy stood on the burning deck
His pocket full of crackers,
A spark went flying up his leg
And put us all back on track - hurrah!
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 18 July 2016, 01:56:41 PM
:)  A literate post. Then is doomsday nigh!
You know what they say about broken clocks!  :)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

mollinary

Quote from: Ithoriel on 18 July 2016, 01:28:36 AM
Had a brilliant time over the weekend, firstly at the Baccus Secret Bunker where Igor and The Marthter gave a brilliant overview of the history and the production processes of Baccus. If you have any interest in the process whereby those little men are created I can't recommend a visit too highly. A great experience definitely enhanced by sharing it with a really nice bunch of other visitors.

Joy of Six itself was everything I'd hoped. I spent money I didn't have on things I didn't need, buying twice what I should have but half of what I'd have liked. There were so many great games being put on it seems a little churlish to single out any of them but I feel that I have to give special mention to Breaking The Line put on by David Elks and Tim Rogers since it was playing their game that got me the winning raffle ticket that saw me walk off with a bottle of Genfiddich and while playing it for a second time that I actually won. Plus they are nice guys and it was a fun game that I enjoyed enough when I lost that I went back for a second game which I won ... more by chance than skill!

Had a chance to meet Shutuphippie and mollinary. Must've met ianrs54 too, without realising who he was. Probably several others too that I'm still too zonked to remember.  

Apart from preferring not to cook in the very unBritish hot, humid weather there's not much I'd change about the weekend.

Definitely planning to go back next year!

Pictures taken on my new smart phone, which I have yet to really get to grips with so not the best, here Joy of Six 2016 Album

Also had a brilliant time, but as I was putting on a game I didn't really have the opportunity to spend lots of cash. fortunately I came across GS Miniature Workshop at the end of the show, took their card, and have now rectified this oversight!  The venue was brilliant, with a lot of inspirational games. I too had a look at Breaking the Line, complimented the guys on both the idea and presentation, but couldn't play because of my own commitment. I am a bit 'husky' today after talking so much for so long, but it was great fun talking to so many pleasant, interesting and interested, people. As I explained TtS to the folks, I realised how much I have come to be a great fan. There was lots of interest in Pharsalus, and we played it through with four players in an hour and a half. Caesar lost a close match, but as he was killed, he probably didn't care! It confirmed my belief that he must have had the Civil Wars ghost written!  Thereafter, I played sections of the game to demonstrate the rules to people coming along in ones or twos. They all seemed to enjoy it, which made it all worthwhile.  I was also really helped out by another TtS afficionado, Dave Lycett, who came along and kept things moving with his gentle good humour.  Overall, it was a brilliant day, and I am already thinking about what I might do next year.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Shutuphippie

Hi Guys,

Was a great show with some fantastic looking games. I didn't have a chance to get around all the games and introduce myself to everyone who hangs out here so apologies for that.

I've just emailed Leon about a table at  Battleground as I have convinced our group to put on a 10mm Marlburian game if Leon has any space left..

The 'temptation of ten' gets my vote as a great name  :D
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

Fenton

Knowing the person putting git on The Somme game would using Great War Spearhead 2
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!